I need an opinon.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thenewone, Dec 22, 2005.

1. thenewone

thenewone LawnSite Member

I am 17 years old. i have a John Deere HD45 hydro 48" walkbehind mower and a echo string trimmer. I mowed 6 lawns last season. My goal is to mow 20-25 next season. Some of my clients will want me to bag at times and some really don't care. I want a mower i can use to help with spring clean-ups as well as fall clean-ups. Do you think i should look at Walker mowers or should i buy a scag or exmark and rent the tools needed to do spring clean-ups? The tools i am talking about are a dethatcher, aerator, bed edger, and maybe a blower (i'll probably end up buying a little wonder or giant vac push blower). Money is an issue but hopefully this mower solves it. What I am asking for is personal experiences, thoughts, problems, and opinions on Walkers and weather you would recommend one to me considering my situation. Thanks.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard mixed reviews of Walkers, some love them, some hate them, it really depends what type of properties you have. if you had all flat postage stamps then I would say go for it, however i suspect you have 1/2-2acre lawns now, ohio is a little hilly, and walkers and hills dont mix from what i hear.

a lot of people swear by Accelarator baggers, they're aluminum (no rust, 1/2 the weight of steel). They are a sponsor of our forums, check them out.

3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

If you can mulch some yards spring and fall would help. you don't have to have a place to put the grass and leaves. A good back pack blower can be a very use ful tool for you . Look at them for cost also they usually last for a long time if yopu buy a good one.

4. tiger1

tiger1 LawnSite Member

I have 2 walkers GHS models with 20hp koler engines. I also have 2 Scag turf tigers 61" deck 27 hp kawasaki with custom built grass collection system i has a 8 hp honda pony engine the other a 9 hp honda. A ferris is1500 52" no bagger and a Ferris Is4500 cat deisel with custom built collectin system. I use differnt mowers for differnt lawns. Some days I run have a walker 2 turf tigers. On commerical lawn the walker does a really nice job, the deck floats so you don't get scalping, but with a 48" deck and having the GHS system it sometimes isn't as good as the turf tiger the decks bigger and you dont always have use the bagger. As far as the walker not being good on hills, the trick sometimes is to go up backwards. So my advice would be to look at all you accounts and weigh what macine would serve you the best.

5. Puller504

Puller504 LawnSite Member

I was in the market in 2005 for a new ZTR. Demonstrated 6 different makes from 3 different dealers. First mower tested was a 20hp. Walker, mine to use for the weekend. Took it back to the dealer before closing on Friday. Way too slow, terrible handling on hills, got it stuck in a ditch (twice). Rough ride and my daughter wouldn't use the Walker, she didn't like resting her feet on the top of the mower deck. Ended up purchasing a Bobcat Z219 from the same dealer! The Bobcat is AWESOME! Got a Grass Gobbler catcher and a discharge chute block-off plate (not the same as a mulch kit) package deal for less than $7000! I had the dealer add on a headlight kit for me. 52" deck, will easily mow any hill I can find, 19hp. Kawasaki sips gas, easy routine maintenance, $1000 less expensive than the John Deere I tested and my Bobcat has the suspension seat, STANDARD! Suspension seat is NOT an option on the Walker OR the John Deere. (bad vertebrae in my back) gotta love that spring loaded ride!:)

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That is one good feature of the bobcat mowers that not all manufacturers offer!

PULLER, Is the 19hp kawi big enough? Have you had any problems with it bogging down or anything in really thick or wet grass? I have heard some people say its better to get the 23hp with the 52" deck.