I need answers immediately!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, May 8, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

how do you repair grass that has been burnt? we dumped fertilizer on the grass and now its yellow. how do you fix that?
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

How large of an area did you burn??
  3. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Water, water, and then some more water. This will move as much N as possible out of the root zone. You will then have to either reseed, or sod the area.

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

UrbanEarth said it.....just keep watering the area, and see what the damage is after a couple days, sometimes it pulls through, but majority of the time it can die. good luck
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if you are talking a spill . the most effective way ive found to correct the mistake is to vac it up .
    otherwise you going to have a burnt spot that will spread long as the nitogen last. for over fertilised soil,
    like they said water
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

judging by the use of "immediately" I'd say SOD !
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it is a small spill, try taking the blower and spreading it around.

If it is burnt, water like the others said and then seed or sod.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Take a sample and then either lime or sulphur to adjust the pH.

Otherwise water water water and more water~!

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What type of grass? If its bermuda it should come back on its own with watering.
  10. dig the area up. remove old grass. replace with sod. dig down i would say a good 2 - 4 inches to get the effected soil as well. get the effected area out of there. if you are using all WSN fertilizer maybe watering might help. but if you have any WIN fertilizer in there or pesticides get it out now! that stuff can leach into wells and god only knows what else you may have there. remove at once.

** this is if you spilled an imense amount of fertilizer from say the spreader rolling over or the bag ripped or whatever. if it is only a small amount you may consider just water. however also consider concentration rates. a 20 lb bag that covers 22.5 M sq. ft. should be removed quickly. something like a 50 pounder that covers that same amount of lawn will hopefully not be as bad.

again i urge you to if pesticides are pressent in your fertilizer to get it out of there as fast as you can.