I need brass balls!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bligh61, May 21, 2008.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any of you design/build guys were maintenance route guys first? My problem is I am sick of chasing the route lawns, too much broken equiptment etc. I do about 10 to 12 fairly large design/build/plant jobs a year, but would like to go full time with it. I like the steady $ of maintenance but would love to just build! Any opinions would be appreciated.
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

maintenance pays the bills and acts as the bank that funds the installs.

plus after an install, we do the maintenance.

and we get installs from our maintenance customers.

the only way to go!
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, my maintenance accounts pay the expenses, My larger builds help pay the bills.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a close look at where the design/build jobs came from. Sometimes your mowing route is your marketing machine. If most of your design/build was from your regulars, referals from your regulars, or neighbors of your regulars, you might not want to drop it so quickly.

Landscaping is fairly easy to do. What makes you or breaks you is what work you can get.
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We've toyed with the idea of dropping maintenance and snow over the years and exclusively focus on installs. We haven't come to terms with the idea of losing the steady year round cash flow-which has come in handy when install work gets slow. My opinion to you is to find a balance between the both, and dont lose sight of what pays the bills.
  6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Something else to think about... your best portfolio shots (and happiest customers) will come from the installs you maintain for years after. Maybe that plant's not working there, or something needs divided to look good again. If you did the design and the install, you're in a good place to make minor tweaks to really dial in the design. I'm actually looking at getting back into maintenance because I'm sick of designing a naturalistic planting and having the mow and blow guys shear everything into gumdrops and throw out the perennials with the weeds.
  7. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Say it aint so - but infortunately you hit the nail on the head - there are so many people doing maintenance that flat-out should not.
  8. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

we got rid of all maintenance accts a few years ago. now we focus on istalls only and refer all maint requests to 1 specific co who does quailty work.

this resulted in much higher profits and MANY less headaches.