I need composted loam!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Jul 6, 2008.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a good source for composted loam in the Haverhill, MA area? I don't have a very large yard 3500/ sq/ft or so, and I don't have the area for a compost pile, so I need it delivered.

I am trying to feed my soil and keep all the beneficial microbes and worms happy and productive.

Is there anything else I should be putting down now?

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

If your area is anything like mine the only "compost" you will find is basically potting soil. The best stuff I could find sucked, my dad took a look at it from about 150' away and said, "What you diong with that stuff, that's the stuff we use to plant all of our plants in when we had our nursery."

Yeah, dad, I know I know...

Try and find a horse farm/dairy farm near by. Some place with cows. If you go horse chances are your going to have a lot more C (woody stuff) than N (green stuff/manure) so you will have to redistribute it. They will most likely let you do it right there on the spot, maybe off in a corner, and for the most part they will have tractor they can turn it with about once a week. Till then, I guess do what I did with my backyard. Take a look at the "my first topdressing job" thread (name is something very close, not too old should be on top or second page). I took pics as I went through the process. Gives you an idea of what to expect.

It has actually rained here a few times since then, about to rain now I hope, so the good stuff has gone to the ground and the wood chips are on top, I plan on raking the chips, or blowing them, off the lawn to make it cleaner.

Good luck.

3. DeepGreenLawn

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

5. DeepGreenLawn

Well, I did say if it was anything like where I live, apparently that is not the case.

6. treegal1

DGL don't ever forget that regional thing!!!

7. DeepGreenLawn

I know, I am still trying to narrow down on the different places you told me about off of east cherokee and 20.

8. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Newton isnt that close, about an hour. the delivery charge would killme.

Ill be off to speak to some local farmers.

What else should I be adding to the soil to help it along?

Is it OK to put down lime, or does that disturb the soil microbes?

Is there a way to ADD worms to my soil?

9. treegal1

lime = soil test !!!!!!!!

worms, just let them go!!!, from then on you will want to dig with a fork or a spade( the 5 tined type)

help the soil= compost and more compost!!!!

10. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

Check in Dracut. My parents live there and everytime I call my Dad is at the "dump" with leaves or yard waste. I think he told me they compost it and sell it.
    Actually I think it is quite a hang out. Everytime I visit he wants to take me to the "dump". He goes to people watch.