1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I need economy numbers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobcat_ron, Jan 7, 2011.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I need to update my GPS system for my truck, I need the ACTUAL fuel economy numbers for highway/city for a 2005 F450 Powerstroke, 325 hp and 570 ft/lbs torque 5 speed auto and middle range rear end gearing (what I mean by that is I had 3 options fo rear end gears, low was so low the RPM's on highway would be well over 2500+, high was so high I would blow my tranny, middle was perfect)

I don't want your numbers, I need the actual numbers as they would have appeared on the sticker on the side window.

I have searched for an hour and all I got was bullsh*t and reviews.

I need numbers.

Thank you.

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

You might not find mpg on any window stickers . In the US they are not required to put them on HD trucks. Which rear does the truck have ?

3. bobcat_ron

4.10 or something, I wish Gravel Rat would chime in, he's got almost the same truck as I do.
    The next option was 5.15 (or 5.25??) and 3.73.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your out of luck Ron, Ford never posted fuel mileage numbers for F-450-550 trucks I don't think the gov't requires it.

The F-450/550 trucks only come with two gear ratios 4:30 and 4:88, my F-450 has 4:88 gears open diff, it was spec'ed for towing a trailer.

You can find out what gear ratio your truck has their should be a white tag on the center chunk on the rear diff.

5. bobcat_ron

I went looking for that sticker last time I did my inspection and it's MIA.

Could I assume my fuel economy "might" be almost the same as a DuraMax?

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think you can safely say 12 mpg is the best a F-450 is going to do. You would have to drive like a little old lady to try get anymore than 12 mpg.

7. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

There should be a sticker of sorts in/around the glovebox (if equipped) that states axle ratio. As you have the 450, I'll assume at a minimum either 4.10 or 4.30 gears are installed.

As for economy I can't see you doing much better than 15mpg highway (65mph) empty. 100% city driving I'd put it around 10-12mpg depending on the amount of lights, turns, etc. At least the 5 speed manual is more efficient overall than the automatic. Run synthetic fluid in the differential as it might lower friction enough to warrant a slight mileage improvement.

Only compare the duramax with similar tire size, axle ratio and GVWR. Comparing your 450 to a 3500 GM DMax isn't the way to do it.

8. bobcat_ron

12/15 sounds more like it. Thanks.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

10. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

Well I like to DRIVE my 05 F-550 Crew 12' Rack 6.0 like its supposed to! I get 4-5 miles per gallon in town 51 Gallons= 200-225 miles!I have the lower gear ratio. I built the truck myself. WTF do u do to get more than 10????!!!!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
    Posted via Mobile Device