I Need Education

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Kennedy Landscaping, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I know its not as custom as digging your own but does anyone use the plastic pond liners that are pre shaped and all that good stuff. I am going to be doing a landscaping job sometime where the customer wants a waterfall that goes either into a pond or pondless, not sure on that yet. The waterfall will be near a fence and in a garden and the garden will only be about three to four feet "deep". This will be my first water feature so ANY tips or suggestions would be greatly Appreciated!
    Austin

2. Kennedy Landscaping

bump.....................

3. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

I won't install preform ponds. They don't give you any room to do anything. Go with .45 mil liner. Now you can use a skimmer get more water volume cause you're not limited to the little plastic bird bath.

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

i dont use the preformed liner either,, they are boring and a pain to work with.. 45 mil liner is key....

5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Preformed were developed for DIYs not Professionals. Other than appearing easier to install (which they aren't), there is really no positive side to them. They are not deep enough, are too rigid, cannot be easily altered if the site requires such and lastly, from a Professional point of view, they show no creativity or knowledge of Water Features. I get more problem calls from owners of Preforms than anything else.

6. Kennedy Landscaping

Well this will be my first one, and I want to impress the customer and make the work look good. Any suggestions on how to make a good pondless waterfall?

7. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lot of suggestions for your. I don't have time now but I will try to post some later. Here is a Photo of a falls I just finished.

Rule #1. Pick good rock!! Don't use flagstone for your falls! This falls looks good because I used rock that at one time had water flowing over it in nature.

Rule #2. Don't make a stairs!!

Rule #3 Don't put a "pearl necklace" of boulders down each side of the stream!!!!

Water features that are built like this are not professional.

Find all the really nice features on this pond forum. Print some of the pics and try to build yours just like them and it will turn out good.

Find some local training if you can at a pond build or pondless build. These are getting fairly common from distributors. Good luck.

Wanting to build a great feature is the first step. Ask me some specific questions of you have any.

McQueen Pond Completion 006.jpg

8. Kennedy Landscaping

Thanks alot Venture West, I was just wandering of any tips or anything, your advice is great. I will post some specific questions later after I come up with them.
    Thanks!

9. ponderosa

ponderosa LawnSite Member

Freak-
    find a Savio dealer near you. They have a decent dvd of making a pondless waterfall. It will give you at least one idea of how they are done and the components used in the system. The example is not perfect in my opinion, but the majority of the methods used are pretty sound and I think savio components are good.

10. Ajax

Ajax LawnSite Member

All good points above. Have some curves. Use large rock to take up to 90 degree angles. Slowly build up your grade, don't make the common "abrupt hill that comes from nowhere" mistake. Do a series of rolling hills so the falls looks like it has always been there. Hide your starting point if possible. At the top of the falls I think it always looks nice if the stream appears as if it's flowing out of the bushes or trees. When its overly obvious that the falls starts at the top of a hill and pours out of a huge un-natural looking basin, it can get tacky.