I Need Fed-back From Everone

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LAWNPRO2, Feb 23, 2005.

1. LAWNPRO2

LAWNPRO2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hi guy's
    What do you guy's think of this idea on a flyer's- choose
    of 50% off one mowing or one free pizza a month with
    yearly agreement. I talk to the guy that has the pizza shop
    and he said OK i will have to pay $3 a pizza. I am locking to
    get a lot of work this year do you think this will get the work
    any info on this.

THANK'S :waving:

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

One free pizza a month would have to be clarified, is it all 12 months, or just the season?
    I would put it more like, 3 free pizzas, or maybe "pizza night on me" sort of thing, where you can give them a pizza, maybe a $5 gift card to blockbuster to get a movie, and a bag of popcorn. I had thought about this as well, but decided to just do this sort of thing as a thank you to current customers, rather than trying to get new ones with it, but hope it works out for you.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Personally, I'm a beleiver in money talks. 50% off first mow versus a $10 pizza. Well, assuming you are charging over 20 bucks (nor sure here) per lawn I would think the 50 off would be better---although not for you.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for a lot of work, go for the $3.00 pizza during the mowing season. Give the coupon for the free pizza at the end of every month with the receipt for payment. See if you can work out a deal with the pizza guy to attach a flier or door hanger advertising your services on every pizza box he sends out (make sure they are professionally done!!!!) or add a coupon to his flier. I don't think $24 (considering a 32 week season) is bad for every customer you gain! I don't think $36 is bad and give them one free one every month! You will definitely get a better response than 50% off 1 mowing considering a pizza is at least $10 x 12 = $120!

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think whatever you do, you should keep it simple. If the free pizza thing looks like it's going to be a headache to track, don't bother.

I'm offering $20 off the first month's service for those who sign a service agreement. It's pretty easy to handle and I don't have to involve a third party.

6. LAWNPRO2

LAWNPRO2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

It would be just the mowing season. :cool2:

7. marko

LAWNPRO
    Why? Its costing you $3/month or .75 a week. Add a buck a week to their weekly price to cover it. If you can get the pizza guy to add a coupon for your servicesonto every box it will be targeting an area you are already in and who knows how many would go out a week.

8. LAWNPRO2

LAWNPRO2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Marko it is $3 a pizza so if i get 50 jobs it would run me $150 a month

9. marko

Correct lawn pro, but I think you are missing the big picture. If you get 50 yards and you normally get 25.00/wk to mow, bid $26.00/wk with the pizza deal. You cant look at the $150/month ($1,800/yr) and say wow thats alot of money. Look at it like I got 50 customers @ $26/week = $1300/wk = $5200/month ($41,600/season). The best rate I have heard on here is 3 to 6 customers gained by passing out 1,000 flyers. So using the best rate of 6 per 1000 you would have to pass out over 8,000 flyers/door hangers at a cost of $480 (.06 cents each) + design fee of at least $75, + at least 10 hours labor (or your time) at $7.00/hr = $70.00, So the total best case scenario is $480+$75+70= $625. A no brainer in my book. I would incorporate the cash value of the pizza as $120 value in your ad (or whatever the value is). Seems like the easiest way to get customers fast. A slower way would be to pass out fliers only (for the half off) but in my opinion, good luck on the 6 per thousand and thats a lot of time hanging fliers that you could be mowing. If your scared, limit it to the first 25 customers that sign up and see how it goes. You must get into the mind set that if you can afford to advertise you will. You have to look at it like it is a necessary expense, just like your equipment. If you do a search on here. The people that keep track of the costs to aquire a customer claim $60 - $100 in cost to aquire each customer. $36 aint bad in this scenario.

10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Free pizza is a great idea, I did it with a tax place a managed. We worked out a deal with the pizza place next door. Everyone who got their taxes done by us got a free pizza coupon and everyone who ordered a pizza from them got a $20.00 off coupon from us. Unfortunatly we couldn't put our coupons on their boxes because of franchise rules so they could only put them on the counter. It still worked great for both of us. Pleople would come in to get a pizza get a coupon see the sign in our window for a free pizza if they got their taxes done, come back with their info the next day. Then they tell their friends how they scamed us by buying a pizza and getting $20.00 off their taxes then getting a free pizza to boot. So their friends would come and do the same thing. They "Saved" $20.00 in total, we saved about $10.00 per customer in advertising, and the pizza place was booming for 2 solid months basicly with a buyone get one free deal. Every customer that came in had their $20.00 off coupon from the pizza place, and if they didn't we would tell them they could save $20 if they went next door and got a pizza. Of course we had the distinct advantage of being right next door to the pizza place.

I guess my point is try to set it up with your buddy at the pizza place so that instead of you paying him for the pizza you send him customers and he sends you customers kind of thing. If you do door hangers offer to put his info on them, or someother joint effor, you both will make out better.