I need feed back on eco-lawn applicator

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by marquis de sod, May 10, 2010.

1. marquis de sod

marquis de sod LawnSite Member

I am considering the purchase of an eco-lawn and was interested in opinions of current users.
    How is the ease of use?
    How finely can you adjust your application rates?
    Is it a real time saver over the wheelbarrow and blower method?
    And lastly, is it a head turner? do you get inquiries from people that see you in action?
    I am in a very small market and am the only local offering organics and would like to "get the word out" in a hurry.
    thanks.

2. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I have a Turfco Mete-r-matic and it's just so so. I mean, it certainly does a good job but it's so much heavier than the Ecolawn. I'd just love to work the versatile E spreader. I can put the compost on thicker and more evenly distributed with the T MM but I'd rather cross pattern spread if I had to just to enjoy the zippiness of the E. Spreader.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I still have the 100sp Earth & Turf topdresser for sale.

4. marquis de sod

I ended up buying and eco-lawn last summer and just love it. Loading compost in my 1-ton dump truck I can use a concrete placer to drag the compost off into the spreader and can do @ 6-8 cubic yards an hour.

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I have talked to a couple guys here in Ohio who purchased the Eco-Lawn recently and they have good things to say. I'm just about ready to get one myself.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Been in the same boat, no one around here has one. If I got one could I sell enough to justify it? Could I rent it to other LCO's?

How did the first summer go for you? The 6 to 8 yards in an hour how much is your market willing to pay for that? How many jobs did you get? Any before and after pics?

I got one HOA I know that would add the service to the yearly contract but I don't know if others would follow or not.

7. marquis de sod

djagusch,
    I'm on a five year business developpment plan right now and the first summer was spent talking a few clients into some fertilization and building a soccer field (volunteer work). I wanted to become familiar with the equipment, the time involved and the materials I could put on befrore I started really pushing the service. I didn't make any money to speak of with it this summer. I'm sending out bids for next year right now.
    I doubt I could find a rental market amongst other LCO's and I'd rather sell the compost as well. I'm in a small college town (pop.20,000) and the market will be limited although there are 3 fert and squirt guys in town that keep fairly busy.
    I guess you have to decide the amount of time you want to amortize a purchase like that. I happen to be post college age children and can play with my business plan a little longer. I did figure I could get quite a bit of my money back out of it if I hit any major snags.
    As for pictures, I've got one up with a thread in the sports field forum on soccer field drainage and I'd say the videos on their website are exactly what I was getting as well. It spreads good compost rather evenly and can be adjusted easily for different rates.

8. adam.neusbaum

Loading compost in my 1-ton dump truck I can use a concrete placer to drag the compost off into the spreader and can do @ 6-8 cubic yards an hour.[/QUOTE]

If I've shoveled 5 yards into my Turfco I've shoveled 100. Please elaborate on your "concrete placer".
    Thanks-Adam

9. adam.neusbaum

Currently I'm charging $55 cubic yard. Our average yard takes all 5 yards for $275. It definitely feels like a lot of work with my Turfco but I couldn't do much else to make $190 over 3 hours time. I'm interested in this "cement placer" since my retrofitted LOADHANDLER didn't work as I'd hoped. With my International dumptruck I can only tilt it a little while the machine is parked under the rear-end & besides I don't want all 5 yards dumping out and around the machine. So I used two individual drag sheets and steel rod cranks but my design was flawed. Our last job I used our Skidsteer to fill the hopper after dumping the 10 yards right in the road, I was sure glad I didn't try shoveling all that dirt.

10. marquis de sod

Adam,
    The "placer" is merely a straight handle with a solid flat blade on the end situated like a rake. for example: http://www.jimslimstools.com/Depart...nd-Tools/Komalongs--Asphalt-Lutes--Rakes.aspx
    I tip the bed up a little and drag the compost into the spreader. I adjust the tailgate and lift the bed as I need more compost. Definitely easier than scooping!
    Doesn't sound like you are charging very much for your compost at $55 a yard. Are you covering all your material and equipment costs?