I need feedback on Simplicity w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to add a w/b next year. I've looked at the Simplicity and it looks exactly like the one snapper and ferris sell (which makes sense ,they are all owned by the same company). I like the way it looks ,but I would like to hear from someone who has one of these. How are they? What are your likes and dis-likes? The price is pretty appealing ($2 k) ,but only if it performs. I only need a w/b for the gated yards and the small yards that a ztr is too big for.

2. SSmith

SSmith Banned

Bump this thread up to the front. I want some info. on this as well.....

3. KurtW

KurtW LawnSite Member

I bought a 32" Toro WB last month (just for gated yards and slopes). Used it 2 hours (with a velke). Beat me to death...handlebar control is an accident waiting to happen...piece of **** of the first order!!!!!! My main mower is a Skag 48" Tiger Cub so I guess I'm spoiled. Traded the Toro in last week on a Gravely 34" Z-turn. Installed the mulch kit today. Anyone that has a gate less than 36"...you can have that account. The 34" Gravely is a great little mower and it is just as fast as the Scag. Love it..I think the only reason people buy a WB is that they don't have the money for a Z-Turn or they are running crews and the WB is about 1/2 the price of a Z-turn. You can put 10 crews on the street with a WB for the price of 5 Z-Turn crews. If YOU are the one operating the machine there is no reason to use anything but a Z-Turn. Just my 2 cents.....Kurt

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would have to agree with you. Something that is a little cheaper than ztr is a stander. They are very manuverable and cost quite a bit less than a ztr. Brands to look at are Great Dane, JD, and Wright.

5. SSmith

SSmith Banned

We have a ZTR already.....but we need a good mower to fit in some of the smaller yards around here...plus the ZTR tends to tear up the grounds of some of the smaller yards around here.

So, again, any useful info. on this subject would be appreciated. Lets not forget what usually happens when one assumes....

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I really don't know anything about the simplicity walk behinds but I think they are geared more for residential use. Some lower cost commercial walk behinds to look at are better Quick 36, Encore, Lesco or Cub, and Husqvarna.

7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

If this is the smaller one check it out thouroghly. I lookd at one of these before I bought my Exmark Metro. It was hydro and everything BUT the motors WERE NOT individually controlled. In other words....had to manually turn it and on hill had to fight it to keep it straight.

Pssssstttttt......wnats some good advice? Go by an EXMARK.

8. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice. Good point about fighting it on a hill. A belt drive Exmark or whatever probably would be the wiser choice.

9. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Went with the belt drive Exmark and absolutely LOVE IT. Has made me much more productive this season and has made my days much easier.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They look like commercial cutters 5 gal fuel tank electric start electric pto raise the deck with a crank, big moters cheap price.