I need hedge trimmers that will frighten small children!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

My Redmax hedge trimmers have passed on. I believe they were the 24 cc or close to that variety. I don't have it with me to check, but it was a beast. I want something to replace it that will cut down anything in it's path. I want to be able to use it as a pruning saw if need be. :) Seriously, I don't care what they weigh, I just want a strong unit that will last. I am not looking for an extended reach unit, but may except a mid length model. Please do not say Echo, as I have had several pair, and they are like the little sisters of the poor in comparison to the Redmax. I have easy access to Shidaiwa, Stihl, but some of the other brands could be secured it just will be more hastle if I have a issue requireing a dealer. I am also fearful of the new engines, and have heard some negative remarks about the C4 units. Any suggestions on particular brands, models, and or engine types that will serve me would be great.

Thanks
    Jay

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Little Wonder makes a nice unit but it is not designed to be used as a pruning saw, no hedge trimmer is.

3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl makes some bigger ones.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I use Stihl HS45's and if you want them to frighten children, they will, kind of loud IMO.

5. all degree

I have them too and they are the low end marketed to home owners that stihl makes.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

out4now

Yeah, I realize they are not designed to be a chainsaw, I was being silly. But seriously, the redmax took down some nice mulberry saplings with ease. I am not sure what the opening size was, but believe it was at least 1 1/4".

On the Stihl, are the 80 series alot stronger then the 45. I thought the 45 was more for light duty kind of home owner, light commercial?

7. all degree

80's much stronger and not much more $$ maybe $100

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I know, but isn't it amazing how well they perform in commercial applications? Lots of money made for such a small price. In a word "indestructable".

9. all degree

Totally agree I bought them b/c they are lighter and I prefer that to bigger and more powerful...in hedge trimmers and women only :cool:

10. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

my stihl scares me :blob3: