1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i need help deciding on a new zero turn mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by $blingstar$, May 18, 2006.

1. $blingstar$

$blingstar$ LawnSite Member

i am going to buy a new zero turn mower . i would like some opinions on what i should get to mow commercially . i have been looking at the kabota zd series . i like the looks and 0% finance option . i don't like the problems that people on here say about the hydraulics and am not crazy about a $11k mower but i can deal with that if thats what i need . i also looked at the exmark . it did not look as well built but i am completely new to this .:dizzy:
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you want a zero turn mower? Is that piece of equipment the best choice for getting started (you don't say that explicitly, but imply such).

Spending large money on equpment may, or may not, be the right thing to do.

See the Business Section, a recent thread on Business Plans.
  3. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I just bought a Kubota ZD 25 w/60" ProDeck and love it. I'm pretty sure they fixed there hydro problems. :drinkup:
  4. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

11,000 dollars....seems like you've got a decent budget to work with. I know nothing about kubotas, but I am pretty much in love with Cub Cadet's tanks. I have a M60 tank, and its great, put together very solid. That will certainly be cheaper than 11,000 as well. Also, how big of job or jobs will you be doing. If its a big job, you could go with the M72 Tank for 9,000.

A lot of people seem to not be fond of cub cadet or any MTD products for that matter, but I have no complaints.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

What are you using it for? Large lots? small/med? Home use? Some mowers are very heavy and can do some damage to delicate turf areas, no matter how skillfully used. A mower you can't use on some lawns because it's too big or heavy is not as useful as a smaller one that is more versatile. A mower has to be sized for the terrain. A 60" deck cannot contour mow like a 48".

Brands and resale value. Major brands are more marketable if you decide you want a different mower or when you're ready to sell it and get a new one. Mainstream mower sizes and engine types will also have a wider resale market.

Features and cut quality. It's not all about hp and deck size. Do research to see what users think of the various choices. Do you need to mulch? Look for how well it handles that task. Need to bag a lot? Buy a mower that has a good bagging setup.

Support and reliability. Are there multiple dealers in your area for a brand? What happens if you have a falling out with the only dealer in the area? Is it close by enough to be useful when something breaks?
  6. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

What kind of mower ? rider or walk-behind?
    And what kind of mowing are you looking at commercial or residential or both?
    What kind of budget?
    What are your local brands?
    What kind of transportation do you have for a mower?
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with Exmark. Lots of good brands in your price range Scag, Toro, Dixie, Hustler. I would think Kuboto would be at the high end price wise.
  8. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a toro today. Check them out. I have been doing this for 10 years and this is by far the best mower I have ever used. I mowed in the rain all day today and it cut great with no clumps! But ry alot of them, That is the only way to know what you like best and I mean try, You have to get them out there and use them or you may regret what you got.
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked into any other brands besides exmark and kubota? What dealers are in your area? How do there service and parts departments rank? Do they offer loaner machines if yours will be down for a while for warranty work? My dealer is very good about that and has an A+ parts and service department!

I also agree that if you have a mower everyone knows like exmark, scag or toro to name a few will be easier to sell. Dealers are also more widespread so if you have a problem with one dealer, you don't have to drive 1000 miles to get to another one. Just my $.02 Take it for what its worth.........
  10. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, i dont see many cub tanks out, but i love them and never had a problem with them...and when i need more mowers i will go with cub commercial. well built nice cut, and good price!!!