I need help from 36" WB operators.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JSMLAWNCARE, Mar 3, 2005.

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get a Non-pistol grip, Hydro, 36" WB. I want to see if anybody has used one with a mulching kit, and how it did. I like toro mowers. However, their 36" Hydro has a huge floating deck that makes it to long. Any suggestions?
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark Viking 36" if you want a fixed deck, or the Exmark 36" Turf Tracer if you want a floating deck. Their ECS controls are very nice.
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 36" fixed deck Toro, it is gear driven but it has the T-bar. I and my crews all love it. it is usually the 1st thing off the trailer. The T-bar is so intuitive anyone can use it. I have asulky on mine and I'll let my neighbors borrow it all the time. It takes me about 2 minutes to teach them to operate it and after 2 mowings they are like seasoned pros. Had a Lesco, but the pistol grip is no fun. I would take a gear driven T-bar over a hydro pistol grip any-day (No offense to pistol grip fans). ECS is really cool but not as intuitive as the t bar.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

T-Bar is the Worst Possible Control System for Hydros....T-Bar is a Joined Control.... You Lose the Biggest Benefit of Having Twin Pumps & Wheel Motors Which is Precise Control over Individual Wheel Spin During "Zero" Turns....T-Bar was Originally Designed for Belt Drives to Help Women on City Mowing Crew...It is Not an Acceptable Hydro Control System...

Anything w/Twin Levers Like ECS or Husqrvana's ETS or Even Pistols are Much Better.

Toro Pistol Grip Fixed Deck Hydros are OK but the Rest of their Walk Line Up Just Plain Reeks.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the husqvarna control system looks pretty good.
  6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i would get the Kawasaki over the Kohler , they are both 15hp but the Kawasaki has two cylinders , it seems to run smoother ,mine runs great .i like the floating deck ,can change cutting heights fast 1.5 inches to 4.5 ecs controls and mulch kit ,never had a problem ,but mines a 36 inch deck
  7. LawnTamer

I've never had a Hydro T-bar but I would maintain that it's the best control system for gear driven wb's. If it was designed for women on city crews then they did a dang good job, 'cuz I'd let just about anybody drive mine. When you have employees operating equipment through narrow gates, up and down hills and mowing next to parked $40k cars ease of operation becomes very important. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against hydros they are awesome but He wanted a shorter machine and I know my guys like the belt driven Toro just as much as the hydros and I know you can get 36" fixed deck belt driven T-bars at any dealer, my dealer sells tons of them. This will be its 5th year pulling a sulky 3 days a week and I'm still on the origional wheel drive belts, I change out the primary drive belt & the blade drive belt every year.
    I can tell you my T-bar has never ended up where the driver didn't mean it to be & has never hit a fence, I can't say that about the pistol grips.
  8. LawnTamer

traman, that sounds like a nice ex mark, do you like it more than the wright 36" or has the wright just seen too much use? I've been thinking about a wright compare them if you would.
  9. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I bought the 36 fixed deck gravely last year with the pro steer handles works basically like a ztrn as far as i know gravely only has tha 13hp kaw on it though, I havn't used the mulch kit on it oh yeah it is a gear drive also.
  10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a wright 36 velke mower that i love. a fixed deck is fine on a 36. i really like the controls and the fact that it comes with a velke also. i have a partner that uses exmark and it also is a great machine....