1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i need help from "mansion" useres

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by i dig it inc, Jan 5, 2010.

1. i dig it inc

i dig it inc LawnSite Member

i spot spry mansion on my own lawn 8 days ago and i do not see it working
    i have dollar weed,clover,oxalis
    how long it take to see results?
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You will not see anything out of Mansion(metsulfuron) until about 14-21 days later. Then there will be yellowing of the growing points, followed by collapse of the weeds after the 30th day. If you wanted faster effects, Quicksilver or Octane + a surfactant should have been added to the tank. You did add 0.25% nonionic surfactant, right? If not, I know the clover and oxalis might resist treatment.
  3. i dig it inc

i dig it inc LawnSite Member

thank you
    and yes i did use surfactant
    do you do spot spraying?
    how much mansion per gallon ?
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

i dig it,inc

Trust the Greendoctor he knows his stuff. I use 1/2 rate of Ouicksilver and Masion together and get the best of both. Read the label for rates on both. I mark rates on my Bottles so I don't forget the rates of all the different chemicals I use.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

OK, This is going to be difficult as I do not have my label in front of me! Mansion has something like 1/2 ounce/ACRE. 1.You are going to have to convert the 1/2 ounce (Or what the label says) to grams. Then divide this by 43 to give you how many grams to use per 1000 sq ft. of turf. Generally a hand can with a good fan tip will hold 2 gals of water plus the correct amount of the metsulfuron gram weight above and your quicksilver and surfactant. This mix will cover an area 10' X 100' or 1000sq ft.
    These type of chemicals are not mixed per gallon of water like the garden center variety and can go south quickly. Water is simply the carrier for the application of the correct amount of chemical.
    Anyway, do your math and buy a good small pocket calculator. That GOOD hand sprayer is also a must so you get a nice even pattern of spray mist.
    I also strongly suggest that you run your irrigation or apply after a good rain for best results.
    As Greendoctor told you--Do not expect to see results in a day or so but more like three weeks. This stuff is great and is a little pricey but for what is does--it's great.
    Sure hope this is not too confusing.
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

The label states a range of AI/acre depending on what you are trying to control. Base your calculations on the recommended use rate according to this. With the tips I use for spot spraying I spray about .6 gal/k on average..Everyone has their own walking speed and tips so calibration almost has to be on an individual basis. I can tell you that with what I use mansion to control(buttonweed, foxtail and bahiagrass in particular) my use rates are toward the high end of that range. There should be a measuring tube included with the chemical that will measure in thousandths of ounces. If you have this you shouldn't have to convert to metric but you will have to know basic calculations and of course, weed ID.
  7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

ric i did the same thing i made a product sheet and hung it up in my shed i put down the per k rate and per acre rate i got everything i use or used in the past on there make life easier.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Before I had a computer in my truck with labels on it. I used to Highlight the rates in my Label book that I kept in the truck by law. A quick look at a label and I saw the highlighted rates instantly.
  9. Taylorman

Taylorman LawnSite Member

.0125 oz per gallon is what i use.
  10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

So at 0.0125 oz per gallon, how many 1000 sq ft are you covering? I am curious, because for many grasses they will tolerate 0.0125 oz per 1000 fine, but it gets shaky at or above 0.0250 oz. Not to mention the max application rate for metsulfuron on turf is 1 oz per acre. I occasionally spot spray if a lawn is really big and there are just a few defined patches of weeds. That gets done with a calibrated spray wand that will put down 1-2 gallons per 1000 sq ft at normal walking speed at 40 PSI depending on the size of the AI tip I have in the nozzle holder.