I need help Grasshopper 322D 61 or 428D 61

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

Please give me some ideas on wich will be better. Grasshopper 322d 61in deck or the 428D 61in deck. Does anyone have either or both and is the extra power worth the money ??? Thanks for all the help
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I'm about 20 miles north of you so grass types should be about the same. I run a 322d 61 and it does fine. The only time it lugs alittle is in tall crabgrass and thick dallas grass. Never tried a 28 horse, but it would probaly be overkill.
  3. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The thing that I don't like about the 428D is it only comes with an electric deck height adjuster. I prefer a manual adjuster.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Try and get a demo on both and see what engine you want.
  5. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, I didn't kow about the electric lift on the 428D. I was just worried about the power from the 322D being enough, I have the JD 757 54in and 25 hp. I was just thinking going up in deck size and down in the HP department would not be a good idea.
  6. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

I demoed the 322 61" before making my purchase of the the 428 61". If you have the extra money get the 428. There's no such thing as having too much power especially if you plan on putting on a collection system. I live in New England where the grass is always wet and lush. As far as the electric height adjustment the only downfall I can see with it is if you have an electrical failure.
  7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, 22hp vs 28 hp
    1/the 28 will sustain a higher mower speed with out bogging ,of course if production is your priority
    2/ if u use a belt driven blower[grass collection] the 28 will cope better
    3/ the torque curve of the 900 cc--950cc diesels on the market today although good ,not earth shattering
    4/do u mow weekly roster propertys or a bit of every thing eg 2.5 inch to 2 feet cut height
    5/ are your peak season condition damp to wet
    6/ hills ??
    7/ do u mulch

If u answer yes to the above a 28hp will be better suited
    900-950cc are the entry level diesels ,best suited to low--low medium demanding conditions .Although they will cut with a 72 for example they r maxed out . A 61 inch is about the max they should be used with.

Please remember as with the automotive field diesels are usally the last model line up to be upgraded. Unfortunately the 900--950cc class is only a diesel 4 having a diesels in your model line up .
    With the advent of the big block gasers power wise a smaller diesel may look a bit out of date .
    A 28hp diesel will most likely have way way better fuel economy than the new generation b/block gasers .
    As the load increases the diesels shine .

tomo:waving: :waving:
  8. finmower

finmower LawnSite Member

322 - 902 engine - 900cc
    428 - 1105 engine - 1123cc
    + 200cc much more torque.
  9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,remember m/ferg ztr 33hp 1.5ltrs 60/72 decks
    j/deere ztr 31hp 1.33 ltrs 60/72 decks
    both of the above r extra large ztr

g/hopper 28hp 1.1 ltrs 60/72 deck---28hp is perfect 4 the 60 inch

tomo:waving: :waving:
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Listen fellas.....

When it comes to the 322D/61 and the 428D/61.... I like both.

But I think when it comes time to choose between them, you really gotta see and atleast drive both of them... and consider the specs. Then depending on which YOU like and what you will be doing with it... then you decide which one.

The two of them are not even the same mower.

Of course the 428 is the power choice.
    But there is a good bit of size and weight difference between the two.