I need help on an estimate (Shrubs removed)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by outrunjason, Jan 17, 2005.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I don't do a hole lot of landscape work so I need to get some estimates here based on the information I have.

A local school needs 35 Red Tipped Photinias removed. They are 20 years old but have been maintained since they were planted and are only 3 to 4 feet tall. They all need to be removed for something else to be put in there place. I am not sure what is going to go in there place yet, and not sure if we are going to be doing it. Just need estimate on removing them.

So, how much would you charge to remove 35 red tipped phontinias and haul them off. I have no idea what to charge as I do minor landscape work.

Thanks, Jason

2. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I'm not really sure what kind of shrub that is, but if I were you I get a chainsaw and cut everything but a few inches off the down. Then get some shovels and dig those suckers out. Granted, I don't do a whole lot of landscaping either, but I think that would be an easy way. Try and figure how long it would take you to do that and multiply that by your hourly rate. I usually charge between 25 and 35 an hour depending if I have any one working with me.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Pending on access........ There are several ways to approach this.
    1. use a bobcat and chain
    2. cut down to main shoot and use a handy man or high lift jack.]
    3. Cut straight to the ground
    4. cut down to main shoot and dig as much of root ball out. either by shovel or back hoe or such.

Now 35 photinia's 3'x4' would make roughly 13-16 yards of debris at my current dump fees that is roughly 85 bucks. That is not my time or anything.

I would approach with the bobcat and chain approach and try to get as much of the root ball as I can and then do cleanup from there.

Bobcat rental= 165.00+ time picking up 75.00
    Dump fee= 85.00+ time at dump 4 loads 125.00
    Labor at 5 hours total x 3 guys = 15 hours= 900

Total bid price.........1475.00 probably would make it an even 1550.00 just to make sure there were no ifs ands or buts left behind.

4. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I don't know that the school would like me bringing a bobcat on the lawn lol. But either way I would have to have a stump grinder or something.

I was thinking about cutting them down as far as I can and then getting my stump grinder guy to grind the stump out. He told me that sometimes when you grind them out, the whole stump will just fly out and sometimes take a lot of root with it. That would be nice.

So, how much root am I looking at here with 20 years of growth?

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hwo big is the base on these? cut them off grind the stumps, don't forget
    to to add raking & back fill to the est. i'm guessing around 560.00 grinding
    100 bucks soil, plus dump fees :)

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Be very careful or you will overlook a lot of unexpected HARD labor.I just took out some shrubs (20-25 yr.stuff).....it is tuff.....Don't be afraid to charge.If they are going to replant then that means removeing all roots,so they can properly replant..........I;d go in at aaround $2000.00>$2.1000

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

At 20 years old I would think they have good sized trunk. I would go at this job with my mini-x. Just grab the trunk as high up as possible and pull to break the roots free. While I go to the next one someone is cutting them up so it all fits in the truck.

$1050.00, more if they want it back-filled.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Cut them all to the ground with a chain saw. After you have all of them cut to the ground and the debris removed rent a stump grinder and grind the stumps. You should be able to grind the stumps in 5 to 6 hours so you'll need the grinder for an entire day. Back-fill the area with clean fill.
    I would charge $35-$40 per shrub for removal, plus landfill fees and hauling. Don't forget to add the grinder rental cost to the estimate.

Shrub removal: $1400
    Grinder rental: $150
    Landfill/hauling Fees $ 200
    2 yds of Clean Fill dirt: $ 100

Total $1850

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

low budget method, attach chain to trailer hitch mount and pull out with truck.

this is the cheap, redneck looking alternative to renting a bobcat. Much less effective if you can't plant the truck tires on pavement.

next up the food chain is rent a bobcat or mini excavator. A lot quicker if youknow what you are doing with one. Not so if you have never driven one.

more labor intense option. chain saw and stump grinder.

with any of the options, depending on rental, dump and fill dirt fees. I would be in the $1500 to $2200 range.

10. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i agree with the truck tires on pavement thing. i dont know why, but i was pulling one small, tiny bush, and my one tire was on the pavement, one was on the grass. the one on the grass kept spinning and messed up the lawn.

bobcat will be the best thing. i dont do these often, but having a bob cat, i would charge at least 50/pop, and they each one will be out in about 10 min max. the backfill will be a lot. 2 yards will not be enough for 20 shrubs. got a picture?

but first of all, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INSURANCE, when dealing with a school. you injure a kid or brake a wall, and there goes you and your business.