I need help on trying to fix my lawn boy 2 cycle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Blaster822, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

I have used search and it did not help and i do not know how to fix my lawn boy push mower it is a 2 cycle 6.75hp when it runs it sounds like it is losing power it not a constant noise the sound goes up and down but when i start to push it in the grass it wants to die :confused:
  2. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Check for carbon buildup in the muffler and exhaust port.
  3. Blaster822

thank you for your respons

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

check the fuel filter
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I am not sure by your description, but if the motor is lean surging it is usually a fuel stavation problem. I would pull the fuel line off the carb and check the flow through the filter and if that is Ok I would pull the carb off , spray passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. You can also loose power if the exhaust port is coked, and probably good to check before tearing carb down if you have not ever seen these problems before. Also is the air cleaner clean?
  6. Blaster822

Thank you all for your help and if you can think of anything eles please let me know.
  7. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I have never even touched a lawnboy but it sounds like carbon buildup in muffler or dirty air or fuel filter
  8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

9. novatoasv

novatoasv LawnSite Member

check the governor spring vane and see if underneath it is clogged with grease and debris. next adj carb mixture.
    next use a clean air filter and sprk plug.
    VERY COMMON PROBLEM, but make sure the vent to gas cap is clear and clean. this will cause a up and down "ramping"
    for the rpms. a vacuum will occur in the gas flow causing the engine to die then recover once it has enough to fuel to run. last thing, remove engine shroud and gas tankand tighten all hardware to the engine, might also be a slight vacuum leak. good luck