I need help please!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Everyone that's experienced with lawn care marketing please give me some suggestions. I need help getting residential contracts. I'm handing out 300 flyers tomorrow. I got 1 call from handing out 30 flyers. Not much to me. Thinking about doing some direct mail too. I'm new to this, last season was my first and I only had 17 accounts and some landscape jobs. Help!? Please.
  2. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

What does your flyer consist of? You may want to case a neighbor hood with similar lawn sizes. If you have been out there long enough, you can get good at estimating square footage. Set a price for everyones lawn. Mowing, fertilization, etc.. Then mail them to their address. This way the estimate is done, and they can call you with questions. They have the price up front, and maybe it will be less than they would have thought. Some people think that services like ours are expensive. It's our job to make our service look practical.
  3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

One call from 30 flyers is pretty good. I also think that your 17 accounts is respectable. If you want to get somewhere between 50 and 60 accounts you will need more than 300 flyers. Keep getting the word out, providing top quality service and the customers will come.
  4. Thank you guys for the advice.:) I will keep handing out flyers
  5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

None of the marketing available,ie:mailers, doorhangers, newspaper ads will get you a high return. You need to use everything , all the time to keep your name out there.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I do and it works! I advertise with yellow pages, all phone books in the area, benches outside of stores, newspaper, flyers, door hangers and company shirts and lettering for trucks. I also make sure all equipment is cleaned on a regular basis and make sure blades are sharp and ready everyday. It may sound silly but we even wax our mowers twice a year to keep them shiny. Advertising works but its a lot more than just running ads or putting out door hangers and flyers its about company image. You can market your company all over the place but if your image consists of poor quality work, filthy equipment, trucks and sloppy uniforms how many people will want you to work for them. Even if you do good work most people want a professional looking crew.
  7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Why are you trying to sell ice-cream in the winter?

Doing fliers, door hangers, newspaper ads, etc. at this time of year is not going to be very effective and your going to get discouraged by the consumers lack of interest in your product or service. It's not that people don't need the service but it's that people don't need the service "right now" so the majority of your marketing efforts are not going to be recognized at this time of year and it will be money poorly spent.

Granted I can understand the need to get your name out there before the masses startup their advertising campaigns but from my past experience most people are "NOT" going to call for a service until they are "READY" for that service.

My advertising doesn't even start until two weeks before the season begins, I would rather be the last flier the client receive rather then the first one. Over the years I have experimented with advertising at different time intervals and putting marketing material in the clients hand at the time they require the service had been far more effective then being the first one to start marketing.

I guess if you have the extra time and money to spend on adverting at this time of year then there is no harm in it but I wouldn't blow my whole advertising budget in January.
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you that advertising to early is a waste of money but I think you missed the point. I live in IL and yes its to early and you live in Utah and its to early also but he lives in SC Myrtle Beach. I used to live in SC and spring cleanups, landscaping, seeding all start in Feb. Mowing usually starts late Feb or early March. Different parts of the country start at different times of the year for instance my crew will start mowing almost a month before yours do. Last year we started mowing in early March.