i need help, PLEASSSSSSSSSSE

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Endless Boundries, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Endless Boundries

Endless Boundries LawnSite Member

I'm just starting a lawn care business. Trying to get all my ducks in a row, so to speak. Got equipment, incorporated, lic, insured, price list etc... Not one client. How I approach people to solicit their business? Or should I say the most profitable way. I own all my equipment, so I really don't need alot of accounts to sustain. Although more the better. Any advise would be of great help.
    Thanks D. M. in ga.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What part of the biz are you planning on going after? mowing spraying, installs? Need more info. It will be real hard for some one else to tell you what would be the most profitable way to advertise. Home & Garden shows are great If your the only lco there, but if there are 20 others might not be the best. I think you can see where I'm going with this. Now if all you want to know what are some of the ways to advertise that have worked for others give more info and I'm sure you can get help.

Mac

3. Endless Boundries

Hi thanks for the reply, I am going for just the mowing end of to start. As business picks up purchase more equipment and venture into other facets of the biz.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing to do is identify what type of mowing account you want and what type suits your mindset the best. Some folks like to have a lot of contact with their customers - residential. Some don't - commercial. If you're already licensed and insured, though, you are ahead of probably about half of the clippers in your area, which means they'd have a lot harder time getting certain commercial accounts.

For residential, I would do flyers and/or mailers.

For commercial you can do a mailed letter, but be sure to follow up in person.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Flyers. mailings, newspaper add, yellow pages, person to person for commercial or letter to co. in about that order.

Mac

6. Endless Boundries

I really appreciate the advice guys. I have taken alot of time and read alot here at this site. I do value you guys opinions.
    Thanks D.M.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

If you have logos on your shirts and caps, wear them almost all the time..including winter...if you dont have logos on your business clothes, do it....

An acquaintance of mine moved here from New York back in late winter 2002. With flyers, he covered most every neighborhood within x number of miles of his desired territory. By Memorial day, he had 2 dozen new residential accounts (he only wants residential). Then from these, he got numerous referrals.

This year he is at the point where he has to hire full time help to meet the demand.

FYI...his flyers mentioned NOTHING about price...rather he emphasized the highest quality of workmanship and impeccable reliabilty. He also has 10 years experience in this business where he lived before.....and he does a very nice job on residential. But...your niche may be price, or high quality of work, or whatever....dont pretend to be something you are not...if you have not clearly defined the niche that you will target, you need to determine that....and then get your name out there ...and for him, flyers did the trick....Be aware that you will need to do many hundreds of flyers most likely to get some bites. Flyers are a numbers game. Good luck.

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Find your target areas that you wish to do business in, then you can ditribute flyers or doorhangers and maybe go door to door. Advertise in the local paper in the services directory. Many good ways to start and without a whole lot of money.
    Good luck

9. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Classified ads worked for me. Then I got in the phone book and dropped the ads. From the telephone book and word of mouth I get a few calls every month for estimates.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know if your near a bigger city, but powder springs GA seems like a small town, so if thats the case, maybe try an add in a local newspaper. Flyers worked well for me, and putting an average price seemed to be the thing that made them work. I think that way people could judge if it was in the ballpark of being able to afford.