I need HELP! trimmer problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, May 30, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a sthil trimmer and it worked fine for the last year or so and when i just started to use it for my business it has had problems. i dont know why but when i pull the throttle to full it dies it starts easy and is idling well but when giving it full trottle it dies i have to fool with it at half to get it to run and when i pull the trigger at half it will run full for a while and get touchy again anyone have any idea why:confused: sorry thread is so long:(

2. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

did you mix your gas properly? humans make mistakes sometimes.

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the reply but i'm pretty sure its mixed right i even dumped half the tank when a friend of mine suggested that but it didnt work with the new gas mixture either and that was the right 50:1 mixture

4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

When you started using your trimmer for commercial use did you run it at full throttle cause if you haven't you might have some carbon build up in your exhust and not getting any air out so it chokes your carb down. You might want to take it in and get it cleaned.:cool:

5. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

I guess I'm going to have to start apologizing for some of my lengthy posts.

Check the simple, cheap things first: fuel vent, fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, etc. If you don't find the problem in any of these, check the crankshaft seals. There's one on each side of the engine over the ends of the crankshaft to seal air from getting into the engine. Over time, they dry out, crack, and then suck air. Idles fine, but when you open the throttle, you suck major air into the crankcase. If you have to do this, check the pullrope side first.

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Fuel filter. I had a blower do that.

I wouldn't hurt to through a new plug in too.

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Take out the spark arrester in the muffler. Like was mentioned, if you do not run the machine at full throttle all the time, carbon builds up on the arrester screen, and will cause it to die, or not run full throttle. This may not be the problem, but it would likely become one in the future. I know from experience. :)

Jay

8. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

had the same trouble a while back, sounds like u have a build up of carbon in your exhaust. i would have someone trained to clean it, it is easy to get carbon in the pistons if you do not know what you are doing

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like carbon to me too.

I had a different problem with my 85 this week. Its been running very hot. And if I cut it off to restring it just wouldnt restart.
    Well my dealer told me to add another 1/4 bottle of oil to my mix. I already mix a 2 1/2 gallon mix to 2 gallons of fuel.
    Well it worked. Runs cooler and I dont have that agrivating no start problem.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Check the trimmer over as advised by Hud. I imagine it will be something simple like the spark arrestor being clogged up. Please let us know how you make out.

Gravely_Man