I need help understanding this quote

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Willofalltrades, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I read this quote in the book How to earn at least sixty dollers per hour mowing grass... and still be the low bidder! i was wondering if you could help me understand it.
    "On the first page of this chapter, we mentioned how much money can be earned by establishing a price of $1.00/M (M=1000 ft) or $44/acre for your mowing services. But, what about trimming and blowing? You really can't establish a price for those services. Trimming and blowing are simply a nuisance that every contractor must deal with and offer to his clients. Unfortunately, there is not much profit in them, because they are what we call "labor intensive." No matter how fast and hard we work, the potential for high profit from trimming and blowing just does not exist.
    For that reason, a contractor must simply take his hourly labor and multiply that labor rate times a "factor" (a percentage markup of your labor rate) of 3, 4, or 5, with a factor of 4 being the most common. For example, suppose you are paying $4.00 per hour for your labor. You would bill out (or figure into your bid) the following prices:
    $4.00 per hour x a factor of 3 =$12.00/hour
    $4.00 per hour x a factor of 4 = $16.00/hour
    $4.00 per hour x a factor of 5 = $20.00/hour
    Most experienced contractors seek a factor of "4" or higher, to cover themselves for lost time in travel between jobs, weather delayes, and mechanical breakdowns."

2. Attention!
    YOU must to help friend!

One my good familiar has got in a trouble. From him have taken away his apartment. A gangster, threatened with knifes and demanded to sign documents on transfers of an apartment to their possession.
    He resisted, as could, but when gangsters have wounded him, he has not sustained and has signed papers. After that, where it only did not address, both in court and in highest authorities, neither who nor that cannot make as on the document there is its personal signature. And it the second year lives in a cellar of one old house. I suggested it to live at me, even persuaded, but it has categorically refused, as will be firmly convinced what to prevent my family. It very modest and kind guy, his name is Michel, it works as the children's doctor in reanimation. Five years ago it has rescued my son. Now it is necessary to help it It is necessary to present it even small квартирку that it could as all people, to take a shower, have a sleep in a bed and to go for work from an apartment, instead of from a cellar. I one certainly cannot help it but if each of us will put a little money to the account which I have opened for him we can make his happy .С Christmas is fast and on this great holiday the most improbable dreams so let in this world on one happy person begins more come true. Therefore I have decided to address for the help to you. Let's help Michel, we from it shall not grow poor and the person we shall rescue. To help each other, this sacred business.
    Account WEB MONEY Z238094141625

On him it is possible to transfer money for Michel. And also, do not overlook to specify yours E-mail that Michel could contact each of you and personally thank.
    It is thankful in advance.
    Kris.

3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. What is this about? I don't think this belongs here.

Anyway, Will, I'm curious as to what this is explaining as well. I'm not clearly understanding the 'factor', and how/why to apply it. Someone here will though...

4. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

Hehe!! KRIS2005 under his name it says BANNED. That post was just STUPID.