i need help with filters

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Frontier-Lawn, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have one client that i was doing donut edging on and got done turn on all zones to check if i got all. was walking around and 80% were just sputering. took off the popup srayer and a guss of black crap came out. the blue filter/ strainer was black and cloged. did it to to others and the same thing.

what and how can i fix this prob.

ps the install was done by JD Landscapes

2. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

What's the water source, is it municipal, on a well...? And is the "black crap" like soil, or something else? Hopefully the system just needs a good flush, and it was a one-time contamination of the lines that occurred at some point (maybe from a break, careless installation...). But if there's something coming in from the water source, yeesh. Probably not though, I would think.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Or rust! Like already stated... single occurance or ongoing situation?

Mountain View Rust Problem IV-01.jpg

4. Frontier-Lawn

its a new us home, and puple tubing= reclamed water

5. Frontier-Lawn

6. Could be a simple flush is needed. That is all.

We take care of sites that use reclaimed water for irrigation. Most of the municipalities around my main work area use reclaimed water as well as the state. I have not heard anything from them regarding this kind of issue nor have I had this kind of problem on my sites.

I don't think it would be a rust situation, but a contamination issue at the supply end (source).

By the way, do you take proper health precautions when working and getting wet with this water? Suppose to be safe enough to drink, but there are organisms that if get into your body, can cause some health issues.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have had issues with recycled water down here as well. Most of the filters clogged up from recycled water are loaded with algae, dirt and other strange stuff. And they say that we could drink this garbage...

Just replace the filters and be done with it.

8. Frontier-Lawn

i went to lowes and hd they sell the nozzels with the filters. the only way that sell it. should i just let another irrigation company do the work or what should i charge the client to flush and change the filters?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why not install a whole-system strainer, and stop the crud before it gets into the valves?

10. Frontier-Lawn

the house is for sale(a house fliper) i dought they would want to spent the money to do that.