I need help with finding the right weed killer ...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rag15, Aug 26, 2007.

1. rag15

rag15 LawnSite Member

Hello!
    This is my first post here and I'm glad I found this website! I'm working on a lawn that is invaded by 4 different kinds of weed plants. I am new to all this and don't have much experience... I need help figuring out what kind of weed plants these are and the kind of weed killer(s) needed. Also, I plan on overseeding the lawn (2 weeks after the application) and would like to know if the weed killer(s) will interfere with BlueGrass germination.

My location is in North East (Buffalo, NY) and lawn has Fescue/BlueGrass combination. Approx area: 40' x 25'.

[​IMG]
    Click here for Close-Up

[​IMG]
    Click here for Close-Up

[​IMG]
    Click here for Close-Up

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot!

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I see ground ivy, heal all, and oxalis. Tough weeds plus a few dandelions. Lesco three way would work, but it might take three treatments. I would go with Lesco Eliminate, use it at the maximum rate, add a wetting agent or some detergent. Plan on two treatments about three weeks apart.

Hurry before Buffalo white moves in.

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What he said. Ground ivy is a pain in the azz to get rid of. Fall is a good time to knock it out.Trimec classic will work as well.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, 2-3 treatments, 10-14 days apart, of the "three-way" product of your choice. Works great.

5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco's Momentum Fx2 works better for Ground Ivy than it's Three Way. The problem's you have are that you are not supposed to apply seed within 4 weeks of the application and KBG needs 21 days to Germinate. If you apply the herbicide this week, you will then seed during the last week of September and the KBG won't be germinating until the later third of October. Thats to late for me. Unless the lawn is totally shot I would fertilize now with a 50% slow release, kill the weeds in late September & then fertilize with 46-0-0 in late October. You will be amazed at how your lawn recovers. I have done it and it works.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Great point Fdl. I blew right past the part about wanting to overseed. I guess I need to start reading complete posts! Your fert. plan is right on. Based on the pictures, there's enough turf present, that fertility and reducing weed competition should put the lawn back in good shape. Maybe consider core aeration before the app. of 46-0-0, and do the 46 after top growth ceases (like you said-LATE October). This will prevent "lush" growth prior to the onset of snow, possibly setting yourself up for snowmold, especially in Buffalo.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would recommend going with Three Way and Quick Silver! I have never had to make multiple applications as I get a great kill the first time. I go with 1.1-1.3 oz of Three Way and .02 oz/1000 of Quick Silver.

You will have to wait 3-4 weeks to seed, but should get a great kill!

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you use Quicksilver for weeds you can overseed one day after treatment, or on new grass if "established". However--Quicksilver works best for annuals--ground ivy is not listed as controlled, unless it is mixed with another product.

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would use full rate of Three-Way and half rate of Surge. Since I started using Surge, ground ivy is gone with one application, even in the worst of conditions.
    Now is a good time to apply it. I would also wait with the overseeding. I would see what some weed control and a couple applications of fertilizer does.

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree about the aeration. Seeding KBG after mid September is a risky proposition. I really believe you can bring that lawn back into shape without reseeding.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care