I need help with getting more business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Byerley, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Byerley

Byerley LawnSite Member

I have been passing out flyers and I am not getting any calls for the most part. I am running out of ideas. I wanted to know if any one has tried cold calling out of the phone book.

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Give it time.

I'm getting calls, almost daily, via word of mouth on existing customers. I bought 2,500 door hangers, and I haven't had time to hang a single one.

Good luck.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The secret to getting more customers is to mow for half the going rates. Thats how they do it around here.

4. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

do you own a house...if so turn it into your showcase property...get it so nice that everyone walking and driving buy wants their's to look like yours.

If you dont own a house, offer to look after someone's property on a busy corner lot, simply offer to look after it and all you want in return is the costs of your products, so if your cost for ferts is $30 for season, get $30 back, if seed costs youX get X back, fuel cost etc....but do not charge any labour

We do this for 3 properties we hand picked.....our costs are approx $400 per property, we charge the owner this cost.....but it has generated over 30 new clients in just under 1 month.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's how I started. Now I'm a dollar a minute and turn work away to friends. (but I also have a yellowpage ad)

6. nativeCO

nativeCO LawnSite Member

I think that you can spend as much money as you want in flyers, advertising, etc., but what it comes down to is whether or not you do good work at an honest price. I can't explain why, but it seems like good things come back to people who do good honest work. Word of mouth gets me the most customers. When you think about it, it makes sense that a customer would rather hire someone from a referral rather than one out of a million flyers they receive every day.

7. nativeCO

nativeCO LawnSite Member

Don't mow for half the going rates. That ruins it for everyone. Just keep the rate up at a standard price, then everyone's happy. Do good work and you should have nothing to worry about. Customers will find you one way or another.

8. NBL

NBL LawnSite Member

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

10. nativeCO

nativeCO LawnSite Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011