I need help with herbicide in bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by qlchustler, Dec 9, 2007.

1. qlchustler

qlchustler LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I need help with pre emerge and post emerge weed control in bermuda grass. I have a bid on several large apt. complexes which in the bid package it includes 3 applications of herbicides. I am bidding against 5 other lco which in the past have bid the herbicide part almost down to cost. I need the CHEAPEST way to comply with the bid package and get cost down, that is why i elected to spray these myself ( I normally sub out all of my spraying) and yes I do have a commercial pesticide liscense. What herbicide to you suggest when cost is a factor. I will be measuring these today so i dont know exact sq.ft yet . thanks in advance for your help. ball park guess
    1 is 15 acres
    2 is 6 acres
    3 is 8 acres
    4 is 4 acres
    5 is 4 acres
    6 is 3 acres

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

A choice that is fairly inexpensive that is both a pre-emergent and post-emergent is Atrazine 4-L. ($25/2.5gal) Be carefuil as it is not friendly to ground water. Check with your local agent for EPA restrictions. Is fertilization in the contract? Ag fertilizer is a choice for huge applications and easy to obtain from the Co-op in both liquid and granular.

3. qlchustler

from georgia

Fertilization is not included.thanks

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

Read your Atrazine 4-L LABEL before opening your keyboard.

5. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Atrazine is restricted non residential, at least here it is.

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Ric:
    Right on the label on the Lesco site:

TURFGRASSES FOR FAIRWAYS, LAWNS,
    SOD PRODUCTION* AND SIMILAR AREAS
    *In states other than Florida. For use on turfgrass for sod in Florida, see Turfgrasses for Sod (Florida Only) section above.
    Bermudagrass, Centipedegrass, St. Augustinegrass, and Zoysia Grass
    Apply Atrazine 4L after October 1 before emergence of winter annual weeds for control of annual bluegrass, burclover, carpet burweed, chickweed,
    corn speedwell, henbit, hop clover, and spurweed. Atrazine 4L will control annual bluegrass even if it is emerged at time of treatment. For control of summer
    annual weeds listed in the preemergence portion of the Atrazine 4L Applied Alone – Corn or Grain Sorghum section of this label, also apply Atrazine
    4L in late winter before the weeds emerge. Apply in a minimum of 15 gals. of water per acre or 1 gal. per 1,000 sq. ft. Where annual bluegrass is the
    major weed, use 1 qt./A (22 ml or 0.75 fl. oz. per 1,000 sq. ft.) Use 2 qts./A (44 ml or 1.5 fl. oz. per 1,000 sq. ft.) for control of the other weeds named
    above. Do not exceed 1.1 lbs./A per treatment on newly sprigged turfgrass or on hybrid bermudagrass such as Tiflawrmudagrn, Tifway, and Ormond.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

I bad. I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again, but at one time Atrazine was not labelled for Bermuda. Even at the old higher label rates, Bermuda was not effected by Atrazine.

Yes Atrazine 4-L is a (RUP) restricted use pesticide as registered by the EPA. At one time the EPA even pulled it, as Atrazine in both a surface and ground water contaminate.

If I may suggest, use Atrazine Weed & Feed since it is not a RUP and works better as a pre emerge. I have stopped using Atrazine 4-L because of the paper work associated with RUPs.

8. qlchustler

from georgia

thanks for the input are there any more good ideas

9. RAlmaroad

from SC

Lesco's Pre-Em is another product ( 0-0-8 plus Pre-Em) that is reasonable, but I'm not sure how effective it will be. Why don't you talk with your local Lesco person. When are you looking to apply these herbicides? Generally. Southern Ag. has a product "Weed Killer for Southern Lawns with Trimec" The label says it is OK for Bermuda, but I generally shy away from anything with Three-Way in it. Another good source is your County Extention Agent. Get to know him/her. But let me warn you to follow up their advise with research on your own as some of their info "just ain't right"

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Any Weed Control bonded to a fertilizer will be more convenient to use but you will pay for that convenience. Atrazine does have some pre-emergent qualities but leaching and runoff can be an issue.How long it lasts is another issue. Another thing is you have to be very careful around some ornamentals especially azaleas and dogwoods or you will cause herbicide damage. Talk about eating up any profit you might make. Try replacing a few of those. First, I would put the applications out in a liquid form if you have a tank and pump. Second, I would use a combination of 2,4-d and pre-M or Pendulum. Pendulum is usually a little cheaper than Pre-M.(Same Thing). When you hit 90 in the day and 70 at night, usually around June, it's time for the 2nd Herbicide app. It should be a combination of MSMA, Sencor, and Surfactant. Be absolutely sure there are no Zoysia areas or you will smoke them with the Sencor. If any doubt, leave the sencor out. It sure does help knock some weeds out in 1 shot though. You may have to hit it 2 times. Give it a shot of 2,4-D and Princep in October and youre done with your 3 apps