I need help with organic fert program please

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by 482roller, Feb 16, 2006.

1. 482roller

482roller LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of any companys that offer a good organic step program?
    4 step or maybe even 7 step, any help would be great.
  2. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Microbial Inoculants, Kelp, Nematodes, Compost/Compost Tea, befefical insects, and a whole lot of knowledge. :drinkup:
  3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

4. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

Earthworks seem to be a good product.:clapping: You might have to find a rep. in your area in order to get it delivered.
    hope this helps
  5. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I just noticed where you are located.:hammerhead: Try Fisher and Son, they are the supplier for your area.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Going totally organic is possible, as long as you understand the limitations.
    For years crops have been taken from the soil, along with all the nutrients contained in those crops. The result has been in crops whose nutritional value has become lower and lower. Fertilizer has been continually added to the soil to raise Nutrient levels in the soil and therefore the nutrient content in the crops. Fertilizer is organic too, it comes from the earth. The problem with the fertilization approach has been the addition of certain minerals to promote certain aspects of the crop. Mostly concentrating on NPK levels in the soil. Because farmers have concentrated on NPK and not on the other 14 necessary nutrients, mineral levels in the soil have become unbalanced. This has resulted in soils with less organic materials, since crops are removed and their nutrients not replaced to the soil. This has also led to less soil porosity which reduces the air and water holding capacities of the soil. The reduction of nutrient levels has led to reduced nutrients in the crop produced. Most here tend to think that simply adding organic material to the soil that they are improving the soil. Actually the organic material can be very short of the proper nutrients that the soil needs to bring the soil back into balance. The organic material is only as good as the source. Certain minerals are needed to help microbial populations survive and increase. As long as those minerals are present in your organic materials you can improve the soil. if not, you will still improve the soil but the amount of time it takes can be a lot longer. Some here promote bridge products which are a combination of organic and chemical fertilizer's. They are still concentrating on NPK and not taking into account the other nutrients the soil needs. When selecting your organic fertilizers, look for micro nutrient content as well as NPK. Calcium, Sulfur, Boron, etc, are all necessary for good plant growth. Organic materials can contain those nutrients but if the organic material came from soils low in these nutrients, your organic material will be low in these nutrients as well. If this is the case, supplemental applications of these products will be necessary also.
  7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you licensed cuzz it would be illegal for us to help you commit a crime ???
  8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought he was a homeowner until I saw some of his "Just Starting in Business" posts...That question is very vague....482 needs to do some searching on his own...
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Last I checked it was not against forum rules or any law to do research on Organic fertilizer programs, although I am pretty sure it is against forum rules to harass other members.

To the OP I would suggest to read threads in this forum from the time the Organic forum was established, especially threads where timturf among others participated. This will bring you up to speed on Organics fast.
  10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still waiting for Tim to reply to the corn gluten thread where he asserts that CGM is too much N for the turf in Spring...