I NEED HELP with pricing this part

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was approached and asked to bid on a commercial account. The first thing I always do is say I'd like to earn your business. But why is it you are asking me for a bid?

Their reasoning for asking me was that they felt the current guy who has done it for years has gotten "way too relaxed on the job." The chief complaint is that it hasn't been edged in so long that the curbs are a mess.

There is over a mile of curb to be edged, which is what? Over 5,000 ft?

So how would you charge for that portion of the job?

That's a heap of edging!!! :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

1 dollar per linear 100 foot. If it's in real bad shape charge them a 1 time "Straighten it out" fee of like 2 dollars per 100 feet.
  3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge an hourly rate for whaever time it took to do it and add on a disposal fee if you have to take the material off site.
    If you have a curb that is 3-4 inches overgrown, that is going to be a hell of a lot of work and you should get paid for it!

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Sign the guy to a minimun 12 to 24 month contract. Buy a Tanaka TLE 550 walk behind edger and four blades for $700 and add it to the labor in the contract. Then, Eat the labor for the cleanup as a good faith for the signed contract.

Just my thoughts.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

I will probably just have to bill seperately for the first time. But I have to put a bid in on the entire job. Mowing trimming, edging, pruning, ect...

I've never had to edge that much footage on a property before. I don't want to short myself on it ya know? Since I already know my bid is going to be higher than what they are paying currently, I may as well get paid well or let them keep who they already have.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

ALWAYS make sure you get paid well, Just don't think that a 7 hour cleanup should stand out as a seperate line item when they are signing up for a top dollar contractor to make their property presentable for the next year or two.
  7. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me the numbers for the following and I will tell you what I would charge.

Total square footage of the property

Linear feet of edging

Number of obstacles that require trimming (this includes trees, light poles, electrical boxes etc.)
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

.025 per linear foot
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I had intended to gather all the data on the property today. But it started sleeting just as I arrived. So I just drove the truck around the curbing to be edged and measured with the trip meter.

I'll return to gather all the info as soon as I have time.

Using the rough estimate of 5,000 linear ft, by one suggestion I'd charge $50 and by the other $125. That's a pretty big gap. Any more suggestions so I can kind of run an average or something?
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If its real bad you could be there for a WHILE. I think I would add an additional $25 per month to a 12 month contract for it. $25x12=$300 for the initial disaster. Then you don't have to explain anything to him.