I need help with seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Hovey's Lawn Care, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a customer who in their backyard has no grass due to heavy shade from trees. there are some patches in a few areas. He wants me to try some shade mix and slit seed it. I explained some of the downfalls to this but he is willing to give it a try. With being summer, & shaded, what are some recomendations or advice, tips for me to get him some grass growing? Luckily his property is very cool in the back as from the shade, but also doesn't seem to get lots of sun regardless.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. get the money upfront.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

On these one time projects do a simple one page contract for him to sign.
    Specify what you will do in the contract (i.e. shady mix seed spread at 5 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft., slit seeding, list the starter fertilizer, and straw or peat moss or ? you will use,etc.). Also list that it will be completed no later than September 10 or whatever date. Say that 1/2 the cost will be up front and the final cost will be due upon finishing the job.

That is a few tips for the contract.

Do do until last week of August the earliest. The grass won't make it through the summer. A tree contractor needs to thin out some limbs on the trees so grass can grow better. I would recommend a soil test so you can sell more products to him which soil test usually say they need something else like lime.