I need help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RSK2, Mar 31, 2006.

1. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

the spray is for my yard i am not going to get a truck and try to
    start a spray co. that is not the work for me it is just for
    my yard. :dizzy:

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

There is a forum for home owner assistance. Sorry we may seem testy, but the truth is what we do is very complicated, more so than most people would believe. Many of us have college degrees in horticulture, bio-chemistry or turf management, and still get stumped by certain irregular disease patterns. I have been doing this since 1990 and still learn something new at least once a week.
    As to your question, what is the problem in your yard that you wish to address with this spray? Do you just want a green lawn? Do you have bugs? Weeds? Disease?
    Simply asking "What spray should I use?" Is like calling your doctor and asking "What meds should I take?"
    2 notes of advice.
    1- Don't get advice from Home Depot style garden center because chances are 18 yr old clerk isn't going to know anything more than what they've been told to push.
    2- Don't listen to that Baker guy on PBS, he's built an empire on telling people to use beer, epsom salt dish soap and mouthwash to cure everything from necrotic ring spot to grub infestations. I once heard him tell someone who had a question about fertilizer. "Don't worry about the numbers, they don't mean anything, plants can't read them."

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah he drives me nuts too...

4. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

hi lawn tamer

i am just trying to get a green lawn. i don't have any bugs so
    i do not need anything for that. sorry about posting this here.
    do you know anything that will work for me ? thanks :dizzy: :drinkup:

5. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

If your just looking for a green-up, you'd probably be better off with a granular fert. Less likely to burn your lawn.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, Granular is the way to go, I would recommend following a four step program like Scott's, or Vigarro. If you have a local farmers co-op I would definetly check it out. The local one here, Intermountain Farmers Association or IFA has a four step program specific to local soils and temps, for about 1/2 the price of Scott's.
    Don't use a drop spreader!!!!!Your lawn will look like Tony the tiger's back side!! Use a broadcast spreader apply at 1/2 the rate going one direction then 1/2 rate again going the other direction, this will prevent striping.

7. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Well written Joe...nice job :waving:

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

OceanSpray cranberry is awesome stuff!