I need help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kawasaki guy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

Hey,

Where is the alternator or battery charging device in a JD LT155? Or where is the ground wire? If it sits overnight, and I go out to start it in the morning, I have to jump the battery whenever I need to start the machine unless I buy a new battery. And, then the battery drains within a day.

:)

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Sounds like a bad alternater. It also sounds like you less than average mechanical skills. I would take it to a mechanic.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

Thats what i thought it was in the first place. But, Where is it? I cannot find one on the JD website or Ebay.

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

They don't use a "alternator" on the little homeowner mowers. They use a magneto. It could easily be something else draining the battery.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Your wording is confusing. Is the battery new? If not, an old battery will not hold a charge. Most small batteries will last about 3-5 years. Most of the time they sit during the winter and go down so far that charging them is almost useless. Anyway, think about the battery and if old, go to Auto Store and have it checked.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I think he already bought a new battery and the next day when he tried to start it, it was dead again. I believe the mower has a drain on it somewhere causing the battery to go dead.

7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

There is a black box most likley on the block that is a voltage regular and keeps current flowing on direction, they do go bad. The wires go from the inside the flywheel to the black box to the fuse box.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

The battery is a month old.

9. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

Thanks for your info. Where is this thing?

10. kawasaki guy

Male, from S. New Jersey

Thanks! ;)