1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anthony reyes, Jun 2, 2004.

1. anthony reyes

anthony reyes LawnSite Member

I am brand new i have very little experience. My question: what do i do with all the yard debri? is it unheard of to mow a nice residential lawn without a bag? I drive a geo metro. I can't haul large amounts of grass. should i dicuss this with homeowner or just fill his/her yard debri container. I know my business sounds like a joke. but i want to be professionel. how do you go about this? how do you charge?(any dumping fees)?
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hi anthony,
    Well, sounds like you are just starting out, and the only way to learn is experience, so welcome.
    First of all, is it possible to mulch or just discharge the grass clippings with the mower you have? If so, that would be my first choice. Another option for you is to let them know you can bag it, but you have to leave the bags for their local pickup, and maybe you can schedule to mow their yard the day before, so that you can leave them by the curb.
    Just a couple thoughts. Geo metro is pretty small though, hopefully you can save up some cash and move into a pickup, which will makes things a lot easier for you.
    Couple things to do this right though...License and Insurance.
    Hope things work out for you, good luck.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would try to mulch it or discharge it. Perhaps raise the height on the deck so there are not as much clippings. Also move every 5 or 6 days, that will also cut back on the amount of clippings
  4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

And advise the homeowners that since grass clippings return a large amount of nitrogen to the turf, you're actually doing them a favor by mulching it.

5. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

Try and find a way to get a cheap, used pick-up and or a trailer. In some cases bagging is neccesary. To try to be more proffesional you need to look it and act it, I don't think the Metro is going to do this for you. Everyone has to start somewhere and a truck is near the top of the list. Good Luck!