1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Royallawncare, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I've been in the business for about 4 years now part time just mowing around 20 residential lawns, but this year i plan on making this my full time job i want to expand to around 60 new lawns. So if i want to accomplish my goal i will need to market my company and get my name out there, I plan on doing this by putting out flyers flyers flyers, my truck and trailer will be painted on monday, and I am ordering my business cards today. My question is what do i do from here should i go door to door offering my services to people or just pass out thousands of flyers? How many flyers should i pass out? Seeing that i am a new company most people wont recognize my name yet, how can i change that quickly? I have a professionally printed up flyer that i think is quite catchy but how many of these do I need to get out there for me to reach my goal? Keep in mind that in this area there are tons of people much like me who are in the business (I have already recieved 3 flyers and 1 doorhanger from local people and i am not even in what i would consider a "target area") There are so many companies around here how can i become one of the best and monopolize? my market?
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow , good question .
    Hire some kids to go door to door and leave flyers there.
    Have them do it to the same homes 2 or more times .

Get a permit for saturation mailings and mail out thousands ,
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

last year i was looking to increase my mowing by 15 accounts. i pushed 1500
    flyers, in my areas, and recieved the 15 i was looking for. i estimated 19 properties and contracted 15. not sure about your area but that was my experience. this year we are doing a flyer "insert" in our localized smaller paper.
    This is to make sure that we are only targeting areas that we already have accounts in. hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this might sound a little obvious, but try an add in you local paper, it may work better then you think.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I mailed out 850 flyers a few weeks back...right before presidents day weekend. So far I received two calls from residents and one from a commercial establishment. That's not even a .5% return rate. I was figuring on 1%. I did nail one of the three quotes so the advertisement, in a sense, has paid for itself. We did have 3-4 snow storms after I mailed them...so they could have snow on the brain instead of lawn on the brain.

I plan on repeating the mailings at least once. I'm going to mail again the last week in March. Depending on what I get by mid-april I'll send again in late april...not sure about that yet. I'll hopefully reach my goal of 10 residentials and 2 commercials...although commercials are tough...that is really a WHO you know not WHAT you know business.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Royallawncare,

The more people that get a chance to meet you and hear about the services you offer the better your chances are of standing out from the competition.
  7. justcutz

justcutz LawnSite Member

How much is this going to cost you? I live in what some would call the middle of no where. door hangers and flyers aren't looking like a good strategy. If the price is right maybee I can do the same thing. another question I have is where do you get the mailing list? just make it up?

thanks for the insight