I need ideas on how to pull 800 pounds of concrete out of the ground

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ztec, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

So I install inground basketball goals and I have 2 going on that need to be ripped out. On old small ones I can usually pull them out with my truck but these are 16" diameter and go down about 48" (about 800lbs of concrete). They have j bolts sticking out to grab by. Both of these are mistakes(luckilly not on my part) so they were only dug up and poured about 5 days ago. I really dont want to jackhammer them out since jackhammers dont work to well in a narrow deep hole. Skid steer could prolly yank it but I dont want to risk asphault damage. I have a 2 ton engine crane but Im not sure if that would work or not, only other idea I have is calling a tow company with a recovery truck. So any ideas would be great.

thanks

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

u won't use a skid steer to lift it straight up but you will call a towing company to rip it out at an angle???

if you are a good operator there is no worry of damaging the asphault.......ex spinn'n around and dragging tires etc........and get a big one

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 6 ton mini ex.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

your lift will do fine, so will the bobcat...

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'd let who ever made the mistake fix it :waving:

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

only 800 pounds?

we have lifted 3000 pounds of concrete with TWO skid steers at the same time.

If all you're talking is 800#, just use a skid steer with pallet forks.

END OF DISCUSSION

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good post.
    Mike

8. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

As far as skid steers I have a new holland 870 and a bobcat tsomething (track loader). Both are asphualt driveways, I dont have much experience using either machine on road and Im not sure of how easy the machines would damage the driveway. Which machine would be better? I know the track loader must be turned very carefully on pavement and I know the wheeled machine has a high pound per square foot rating.

9. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

if you are that concerned about the asphalt you need to lay down some plywood sheets for the skid to be on when it is attacking the concrete....if thick plywood is too expensive put down some layers of felt paper then wood.....if you buy right and are careful you will walk away with 8-10 sheets of still useable plywood at someone elses expense :):usflag:

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Skidsteer and plywood. Great combination on asphalt. :clapping: