I need ideas on purchasing a commercial mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txnascarguy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. txnascarguy

txnascarguy LawnSite Member

Hi there:

I clean out foreclosed homes in the Austin, Texas area. I also cut the grass at these properties. Last year was my first year cutting grass all summer. I cut about 60 yards a month. Most are normal lawns on under 10,000 sq ft lots. I do have a few that are over two acres. I had two non-commercial push mowers from Sears I used last year. Needless to say, they fell apart. I need a commercial push mower and a commercial riding mower. Since I am new, I have no idea what to buy. What brands are best? I will need the mower to fit through gates to access the back yard. I also need the mower to chomp straight through thick grass up to three feet high. Any ideas on what is good, and what I should run away from?

Thanks

Joe

Please feel free to email me at mrjoey at gmail.com

2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Most anything by Exmark, Scag, or Hustler are good. Toro commercial mowers are good also (Toro owns Exmark).

All of the above brands have decent websites from which to obtain info.
    A couple other manufacturers are also well thought of.

But personally (even though I have an Exmark, Snapper, and Scag), I'm thinking of looking at a new Everride Hornet zero turn mower soon. They have a $1500 instant rebate promotion going on for the next month or so, and appear to be heavily built by looking at their website.

Good luck! :)

3. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

Joe,

You only need 1 mower!! Look at a WRIGHT Stander.
    Look on Ebay there are a couple for sale. I only use the one machine no need to have 2 mowers. These are versatile enough to trim very well.

Paid $5200 new for mine for a 52"

Good luck

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Call Baran's Fix-It in Taylor. He's a good dealer locally for you. He may have used one for sale that can handle rough mowing as well as "finish cut"

5. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

Find a dealership that carries two or more brands you are choosing from (if your lucky). Then talk to the service guys the guys that actually work on the equitment and tell them what you are doing and what mower they would recommend I've found the is a great resource they don't get commison from it they just know what works and what doesn't. This might be hard if you don't carry any buisness with them but I'm taking a wild guess that if you ask them they will talk your ear off unless they are really busy then don't bother them, and come back when they are slow. my pick Exmark Scag Hustler Toro John Deere don't get a grasshopper.

6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I must agree, Exmark, Toro or Scag.
    Did you notice how Exmark is usually mentioned first. That might be because they sell 2 to 1 over all other brands.

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

...Baran's Fix-It is his local eXmark dealer.

8. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

Horse poop, Hustler dethroned them last year in sales and my Super Z will blow my Exmark out of the water bad.

9. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Consider a 32" walk behind -- depending on the width of the gates. A 32 will fit through any gate. I hate 21" mowers.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler is a good machine, but they aren't even scratching the surface on Exmark or Scag's sales numbers.