I need info. about a Walker mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobbyKnight, Aug 20, 2004.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

OK, I'm sorry that I don't have more details, but any help on this would be nice. I'm looking at possibly purchasing a second mower, and I found out about this Walker zero-turn. The person I talked to about it didn't have much info. on it because he is trying to sell it for a friend who moved and didn't want to take it with him. Anyway, here's what I can tell you about it: 1. Has a 48 in. cut. 2. Probably an 18 horse engine. 3. Also, it has grass catcher that sits directly behind the drivers seat. 4. It is 2 maybe 3 years old. 5. It has 82 hours. 6. Owner purchased it new for approx. $6000. 7. Asking price is $4000, but it has been sitting in his friends shop all summer. Hopefully he would take less.

Hopefully, these are enough details for some of you to give me some feedback about this mower. Looks like a nice mower, but I know nothing about Walker mowers, and I want to know from all of you if this is a good mower, what kind of price to offer, etc.

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

You can look on the walker web site. There is all the info on them there. 82 hrs is nothing, I bought mine with 60 and now have over 700 in one year and its going strong. Is the deck a discharge or ghs? I cant help on price, they are all painfully expensive up here.

3. fenderfence

fenderfence LawnSite Member

I have a 1994 Walker MTGHS with over 1200 hrs and I love it. That seems like a pretty good price. I bought mine from an individual and a dealer told me it was probably worth about $3k. I would seek out a dealer, or take BCSteel's advice and check out the website.

4. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I have the 26hp T model-Thats a lot of deck for that size engine.The blades on the Walker are gear driven so you are using every bit of the engine output to mow-i.e.the blade isn't slowing down because the belt is slipping,wet,etc.It's probably a GHS deck which would be more livable with a 48" cut-82hrs isn't anything as our friends have also said. The Walker seemed like way too much $$ until I did 3 extra lawns on the day I purchased it! You can literally get within 1/4" of anything. Be careful to torque the blades to exact specs because you'll destroy a gearbox if you hit a rock and the nut is too tight. Walker uses shear pins and bolts as well for added insurance.You DON'T want to replace a gearbox! Oh yeah-Walker builds evrything to be backwards compatible so your tractor should accept the new style decks if it doesn't already.I cannot say enough about the Walker. Sorry for the rant