I need info on placing a very heavy rock...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by skullmug, Jun 19, 2003.

1. skullmug

skullmug LawnSite Member

I am not in the business, but I found this site and hoped for some info! I live in Colorado, and in the area is an abundance of shale, in huge ammounts! I have a piece of stone, about 3 feet long by 2 feet high, by 4 inches thick into which I carved the house and street address. It weighs about 300 pounds [a guess], and I want to set it upright into the ground. I have used a hammer drill to drill 2 holes into the base of the stone, into which I planned to set rebar, and place the whole thing into the ground,set into concrete.

Anyone there have any other suggestions? I would appreciae the advice! Thanks!

2. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

300 lbs isnt a big deal....couple of guys and pry bars.....or u could rent a dingo or bobcat and use straps to manuver it. I just moved a .97 ton boulder with a bobcat today

3. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

Rent an engine hoist...that'll pick it up too.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i like the engine hoist idea. you could buy pizza+beer for 2 or 3 guys and pick a sunny afternoon to play in the dirt too.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not try aheavy duty or appliance dolly to move it into position. If using an appliance dolly, you'll need 2 sheets of plywood to roll it on, otherwise a good dolly w/ pneumatic tires should do the trick.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I moved 400 lb. boulders myself with a hand truck.

You and another person can do fine.

Two holes - how big?

Hopefully bigger than 3/8"

I'd either do 5 holes at 3/8", or 2 to 3 holes at 1/2" - assuming the base is set into concrete.

Did you make a jig to hold it in place yet?

I'd consider a scrap sheet of plywood with a 4" section removed to accomodate the height of the stone.

If the stone is horizontal - it will hold itself to the left and right. The plywood, slid over the stone, would hold it forward and back.

That way you would have a jig or brace ready when your concrete goes in.

7. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

We want pictures when you are finished. :)

8. capital

capital LawnSite Member

I am not aware of how moderate or server your winters are, but the stone and concrete will contract at different rates. I think you might want to be sure that you do not bind the stone to tightly into the concrete or the conrete will crack your stone.