I need mower type advise from the pro's, for residental use only

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fishinpa, Feb 22, 2006.

1. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I know this is a commercial LCO forum, but I though "What better place for mower advise"? Please keep i mind I have a hare over a 1/2 acre and will probably be sneaking over to my neighbors who has a 3/4 acre lot. I'm not looking to start a war I'm just looking for sound advice.

I'm in NE PA and have a little over 1/2 acre. Pretty hill but nothing any WB or ZTR would have any difficulty with.

It currently takes me about 1.5 to 1.75hrs to cut with a 21" lawn boy that doesn't pull as fast as I can walk. Although that's not too terribly long I have a budging disc in my back and that time does not include the 'ol trim & blow. I'm pretty hurting by the end of it all.

I'm currently waiting to see what Hustler's spring specials are going to be (thinking 2995.00 for the 36 mini-z), but can save about $500.00 and get a loaded 34" to 44" Gravely with the upgraded Koehler motor, lights, etc. I like the idea of the Quick 36 but I'm not sure about turning it on the hills with only one hydro. PS: I've never run a WB or ZTR before but can drive or operate about anything I can get my hands on.

Will I regret getting a 34" to 36" instead of a 40" to 44"? I don't have any gates to be concerned about.

MAX budget is about 3400.00 but wonder if anyone has some enlightening experience to share with me. I already have a good spreader, trimmer, backpack blower & all that so the mower is the only budget concern this year.

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

you could get a 48 exmark metro with a velky
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, in my opinion, for 1/2 acre, a ZTR is going to be WAY too big, and cumbersome. I would say that a good 32" or 36" WB mower would be the best for a yard your size. I would recommend a Toro Proline mower, a Bob-Cat would be pretty expensive, a Toro Proline would last you FOREVER if properly cared for. My 36" Toro Proline belt drive WB mower is built like a tank, gives a super quality of cut, and lays down an awesome stripe!!! As for belt drive vs. hydro, in my opinion, hydro is more maintenance, hydro has more costly repairs to make, and hydro is also a lot more expensive. Overall, a 32" or 36" Toro Proline should serve you very well!!!:usflag: Hope this helps!:waving:
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

a simplicity regent is a nice machine that will last and last for a homeowner. probaly the 38" with the 20HP V-twin engine. I had one and used it semi- commercialy for a few years, it was buit like a tank, and the new ones are even better. ww.simplicitymfg.com (the website is not updated with the new models yet, but look at the broadmoor, the new regent is a smaller version of that)

Or if you want a good ZTR then an ariens would be the way to go www.ariens.com
  5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

mkwl, I'm sorry but your bob-cat is not the solution for everyone maybe he does not have a dealer that carries bob-cat & the toro and my metro ARE THE SAME THING. So in reality your pluging eXmark as well as bob-cat. I'll get off of my soap box now and give my suggestion, belt drives are a huge PITA but, if your only going to use it for your own property and your neighbors now and then I'd say a good 48" with a velky. With the 48" you will cut more grass and with the velky you will get done sooner. Good luck.

6. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I understand why this got moved I just thought the moderator would understand why I had put it in the Commercial Mowing forum. It'll never get seen over here.

I appreciate the 4 responces I've gotten so far. I'm more seriously considering looking into the walk behind now, for the weight differences if for no other reason. I don't want a lawn full of ruts.
  7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The little Hustler mini z is a good choice for your lawn.It's a nice mower and with you only mowing your own lot,it should last you quite some time.I mow 1/2 acre lots with a Toro 44".It's not overkill simply because most 1/2 acre lots have more obstacles than 1 acres and up.That's where the zero turn will come in handy.
    I have a friend with one of the mini z's.It cuts quite well and he's had no troubles.He cuts 8 lawns per week with his.
  8. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

talk about overkill. a mini z on 1/2 acre is waaaaaaay too much. a hustler mini fasttrak is just right for your yard. a 17/42 should run you about $3300. it has the best warranty and factory support. do a search on this site for user comments.
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My mistake.It's the mini fasttrack that my friend has.I can't keep up with all the different names these days.
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would think maybe a walkbehind with a velke may be the way to go. I have a friend that has some back troubles and it really hurts him to use his rider at times and I let him use my walkbehind to mow his yard and it works out for him. I would be a little concerned on the hills with a narrow wheelbased Z.I have a scag with a 48'' deck and I dont think it holds a hill like it should. Maybe your dealer could let you demo both a z and a walk and see which works best for your properties.