1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need my 22hp rebuilt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Christianstine, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

I live in Michigan and I need my 22 hp for my exmark rebuilt.Has anyone had this done recently?What kind of price are we talking?
    Does anyone know of someone in Mi. that could do it?Any info is appreciated. Brian from Mi.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i have a 22hp on my dixie which has a bad cylinder, by the time i buy the short block and install it and put the new parts that i need on it it was like a $1000, so i decided to go with the new motor for $1399. i installed it in like 45 min., and i have a 2 year warr., tony
  3. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Unless you do the work yourself and figure your time at 3 cents an hour it doesnt pay to rebuild. Call a machine shop and ask how much it would be to turn the crank, bore the cylinders, replace valve guides and cut the seats. Then price all the parts at a Kaw dealer. Now add in your time if you want to do it yourself or figure maybe something like 5 to 8 hours shop time at XX.XX amount. Now compare that to the new motor. The new motor is new and has a warranty from Kawasaki.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

And if you do it this way, you have a used starter, carb,muffler, heads, ect for parts. It will be much smarter to go with the new motor.
  5. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

How many hours do you have on the machine? I'm looking at the same thing, 22 hp lc, 1000 hours runs great, small head coolant leak.
  6. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

1600 hrs
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Brian, what is the model # on that engine? (Incidentally, it's a 23 hp). Also (and this is up to you), but we should look up and see the comparison and compatibility of a 27 instead of the 23 if you DO decide to switch motors. Chances are, if this is the case though, we will just shortblock it. I'll ask Exmark, and see what they say about the whole swap with the same cooling system. I'd like to know, just out of curiosity.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As far as all the anti-rebuilding advice on here, I completely disagree. In the first place, you don't have to touch the cylinders and crank, There is nothing wrong with them. If the cylinders are true, we are good. The crank is fine, unless something happens like it runs out of oil, or something. It doesn't cost nearly as much to rebuild these as people think. We have done about 19 of them now, and all are just fine. Like we said with yours, it may just be a gasket problem (We are hoping!) And as for the starters, mufflers, etc., so what. These are replaceable parts. They are relatively cheap, compared to a whole new motor that a starter can do out in 2-3 years, anyway.