i need my shrubs trimmed, it's an emergency

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 24, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

funny how people have "emergency " situations, but try and hagle on the price. i'm cutting one of my customers, and the nieghbor comes over, young spanish lady(who usually i'm a sucker for), but not this time, i just kept looking the other way. she needs her overgrown , never edged, lawn mowed trimmed and edged, and 3 ornamentals(upright pom poms) trimmed and reshaped. and must have it NOW cus "important comany" is comming tommorow evening. i tell her now is no way, i got 30 lawns to cut, but tommorow is a maybe, and getting on my steady schedule is a definite. she says she has a guy, but he's "not feeling well" so he neglected the yard(liar, cus i been servicing the nieghbor 2 yrs, and the lawn and shrubbery is always a mess). i said look, it's a big maybe for tommorow, and it will be $125 for the service. she says hmmm, i'll give you $50 cash. i damn near choked. i said look, we talkin 2 hrs work, you want to pay $50, in 50 minutes, the machines go up, and we stop where we are at. now mind you, the house is nice, the cars are new, she's lookin pampered(nice jewelery, painted nails) they aint hurtin for cash. she says the other guy does it all for $35. i say the other guy don't exsist. she's begging at this point, i'm walking away, she's following me. i give her the cell #, and tell her call when she has $125 for me. she called once last night, and twice this morning, trying to tempt me with that crisp $50 bill. (it's 8 am). i aint answering. can you imagine?? "emergency service" she requested, then haggled on the fee, and didn't even come close to my number of $125.

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Wow, I would have told her exactly what you did. For 40% of the total price, she would get 40% of the total work done. And on a Saturday no less.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe she will give you some pillows and under garments as a tip?:)

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yea, been there a lot of times. They tell you it is an emergency, and you can see that the work has been let go too long already. I always think that an emergency for someone who is not a regular customer means more money that I will charge, not less, even if they want to pay cash. A note, if they are offering cash, it will be a lot less than your price for the job, because they think you will do it for the cash in your pocket....

5. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I hope I'm in a posistion to knock back work like that one day instead of doing what I do now ... hanging on to the homeowners leg as he drags me across the lawn and pleading... for the love of god pleeeease let me mow your lawn pleeeeease my children are starving I'll do it for any price pleeeease!

6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you know my favorite saying...."Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part." Just a thought. Emergency - my azz.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If she calls ya bobby and says she has the $125, say to her, "I'm sorry ma'am, but you must have misunderstood me, I said $175, not $125."

8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol .. I had a similiar situation, "emergency situation" ...

I get a call to trim a Laurel Hedge, the reason why it was an emergency was because it was overgrown with wire fencing through it..

8 ft high x 100ft long : trim the sides

I tell him $300 .. he said uh.. wow, thats expensive .. I was like well, its an emergency right? you need it done now? I was swamped with lotsa work and only 2 man crew..

I tell him, think about it and call me back.

mind you, he got somebody else to do it but thats fine by me!

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I charge an emergency fee to people that need work done like this. The emergency fee alone is $50. After they hear the fee it isn't an emergency anymore

10. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol ... me too $75