I need Railroad Tie wall help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ric3077, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do mostly lawn and landscape...not too much with walls...I am ripping out an our rr tie wall and putting it back it. Old one is rotted and the customer hates stone walls. He wants the same thing. Anyway...I am looking for someone in the St. Charles, MO area that I can sub it out to. It's about 65 feet of material. Not too big. Anyhelp would be appreciated thanks!

2. Ric3077

I am going to try doing it myself....anyone have any tips?

3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

what do u want 2 know ?

4. Ric3077

I have never done one before...ever...so I am glad my first one is only 3 timbers high...what is the best way to start...bury one timber and anchor it with rods and then stack another layer and nail em in or? Any and all help is appreciated thanks!!!!!!

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Its a tiny wall. Just talking them into a block wall outta that small block you buy at depot. It will be quicker than messing with ties.

It seems like most people lean towards a rr tie wall to save money. Honest, on any SRW that does not include grid, i can not see how you can save any money with ties. It seems like you might save some money on material, but labor will be much more for the extra excavation for the deadman.

6. Ric3077

I tried...however he really hates stone walls...which brings up another point...I have another customer that wants a stone wall...I am going out there next Monday to go over the details with him...but if I can find a guy to sub it out to...I will have to bid it...and not sure what to charge...on the home depot blocks that are like $1.50 or so...how do you guys charge? say its 4 feet high by 35 feet wide...those home depot blocks just lock together with a tongue or something right? And I bury one level of block to start right? Then just stack a level, back fill and repeat right? Once you level the bottom layer will all the others just be level once you get to the top? Thanks!!!!!

Also Today I gave an estimate to the timber customer...$650 to remove old wall, and put in ten 8 foot timbers...does that sound right? The wall is so short it needs no deadmen...the existing one is 16 years old and has no deadmen. Let me know thanks!!!!!

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

$18-$24.00 sq.' I refuse tie walls, regardless what the home owner thinks its block or they can go else where. Dont need that kind of business.

mike

8. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

What's your objection to timber walls?:confused:

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No you stack them like brick sso say like two ties below then a third across on top where the two come together and so on.You have to drill through all of the ties and drive rebar thru all of them to tie them together..gosh amI gonna have to draw yet another pic of this?

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Mike i'm with you. I do not want to be bothered with a rr tie wall. I don't even have a clue how to build them correctly.