I need some advice about this mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vikings, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I have a toro super recycler model 20057. It doesn't work that hard as I only have 20 lawns, its less than 4 months old.

Anyway, it was chugging on me till it stopped working, I ended up cleaning the air filter as best I could and also the spark plug it was black with carbon. I also have been changing the oil regularly enough.

So it happened again today, the spark plug was blackened with soot and it was chugging and blow black smoke now and again. I cleaned it up and just a few hours later it stopped working again, almost as if it had run out of gas.

The spark plug was black again, just after a few hours...

also when I was trying to start it, it siezed up a couple times as if the blade was plugged up with wet grass but it wasn't so I'm not sure now. I hope it's not a broken engine (don't mean to get technical)

I can't get it going and I'm looking for suggestions I do believe the 5 year warranty covers it unless I did something to void it..

any suggestions or advice?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a piece of trash got under the float needle valve in the carb. causing it to start flooding and running rich (Not covered under warranty).
    The fix is drop the float bowl, Remove the float and spray carb. & choke cleaner in the port. Drain all gas and clean the tank, Reassemble carb. and replace spark plug. Should be good to go after this.

Oh, Welcome To LawnSite....

3. Vikings

from canada

Thanks man I'm going to do that right now now that I think about it there is tiny bits of slug at the bottom of the gas tank. On a side note, is there any reason to avoid running the tank dry?

I do try and fill up before running out but I get lazy and run out of gas quite often in the middle of a lawn. I ask because I've heard that about cars you're not supposed to run the tank till it's dry because crap will get sucked in the fuel lines. I always that there was a good chance that was a Myth.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Well it sounds like you are using a homeowner piece of equipment commercially. So you dont have a 5 year warranty. That engine probably has a 90 day to 1 year commercial warranty.

5. Vikings

from canada

It's a good mower (assuming it lasts), cost a thousand bucks CAD a proline costs extra $400. But I'm already at the point I don't want anymore 21" mowers. Only got a few cuts left I'm going to get a 36 or even a 48 next spring and jsut use these 21's for opening up the borders and very small yards.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I understand that...just letting you know about the warranty. Plenty of guys out there using the cheaper machines with no problems, but if you were to take it in for warranty work you may have problems.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

You should probably check your oil level if you suspect the carb may have been allowing excess fuel in.
    Don't know the characteristics of your particular machine, but a needle valve failing to close can fill a crank case with gas overnight in many cases.

8. jeffco67

jeffco67 LawnSite Member

You said the blade wont's turn?

"also when I was trying to start it, it siezed up a couple times as if the blade was plugged up with wet grass but it wasn't so I'm not sure now"

Is the motor free now? You dump too much fuel and you can hydrolock the motor and bend a rod or other horrible stuff...anyway, if it feels tight like that again, don't try to force it...take the spark plug out and pull it through a few times to purge the fuel from the cylinder...

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you do the above MAKE SURE the spark plug wire is shorted to ground or you could have a nice little fire on your hands.

Your right Jim, I was out of lunch time when I replied and trying to hurry, My bad :hammerhead:

10. Vikings

from canada

I changed the oil, filter, took apart the carb/float it looked ok but I cleaned anyway. Same thing, it wouldn't start then I got a new spark plug and it worked.

Thanks.

Still sounds like its chugging a little so I think I will try and buy a new air filter maybe that's plugged.