i need some advice from ny guys preferably

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Feb 12, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i am 24,single and live at home.im currently employed as a auto technician at a ford dealer.my lawn/landscape/snow business is all part time right now.im considering a move to full time as things have gotten shaky at my workplace.i dont have any formal training in the property business,but have been doing it since the age of 13.i feel that i have very good equipment and a lot of drive.i only have 12 customers but they are very loyal.i already have a month's worth of work lined up.basically is this a good move?what is the best way to attract new customers?what is the best way to charge?should i sit down with my accountant regarding taxes and insurances?currently i average $40/hr and about a $100/hr snowplowing before expenses.also what is the best way to budget money for the year to know that you will be covered?last year i turned away work as i knew i would be unable to complete it while juggling a full time job.i have learned a great deal from this site and from grounds magazine.is there a better source of info?any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi. I am from western NY. I would def sit with the accountant. Dont worry about customers. They will come. Just do great work and people will notice. your price seems to be right around what i get for mowing. i dont plow. As far as a budget goes, well maybe you could get your customers to do a 12 month billing, f you are bad with money and wont save any for winter. remeber. all that stuff still has to get paid for all year. What if theres no snow to back you up?

3. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Well it looks like you're off to a good start. Having loyal customers is a plus. Let them know you're going full-time. If they really believe in you they'll let their friends and relatives know. Get a good basis to build off of and things will take off for you. Living at home and being young relieves you of the worry of making equipment payments while also having a mortgage. Kids? Wife? That would really raise the stress level. Go for it!
    PS: Would the fact that you've got 2 Chevy trucks have anything to do with the current 'shaky' job at the Ford dealer?

4. cntryboymc

the chevy trucks dont really play a factor although the owner of the dealership called me benedict arnold as a traitor.how many lawns do you really think i could handle in the first year?what do you guys do for health insurance?

5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

For health insurance, me and my family are covered by my primary job. It'd be tough to swing health ins. if it were all on me to pay for 5 people. Maybe some other guy's can give you advice on this. As for the # of accounts you can handle, that depends on the size and travel, etc, but 40 is realistic since you've got 20 already, right? Without having to spend time at the dealership, you'll have more time for the business.

6. cntryboymc

any more thoughts on health insurance?

7. cntryboymc

how do i get a customer to sign a contract?