1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need some advice on a Ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RollTide11, Apr 2, 2008.

1. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I have a small residential lawn care business and I need to know if you think a JD Z425 or 445 would be suitable and hold up without giving me problems?
  2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Its a residential mower, but we're going to need more info to give an educated answer to your questions. Small residential business, is that 5 lawns or 15, if its the later 99% of these guys will tell you to go commercial, if its 5 lawns, a good handful will probably tell you to buy a used commercial, or get the residential mower but plan to replace it in a year.

I was going to buy the 445 last week, but based on the advice i got here i went with the 717A for 2k more, and got 36 months interest free financing from John Deere Credit.

Avoid the big box stores if you plan to run a commercial lawn care business is the number 1 thing i've learned since finding this website.
  3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't hold up to commercial use. The mower is designed to be used once a week. Think of it this way: most LCOs wouldn't dare use a lawn tractor. These residential ZTRs are no more durable than a lawn tractor and will last as long or less as a lawn tractor. Go with a used commercial mower, you won't be sorry.
  4. indyrs2

indyrs2 LawnSite Member

I would go with a used commercial mower since i had used a john deere tractor for a bit and it just didnt cut well and takes alot longer to get the right cut.
  5. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

spend the money now for a good quality mower and you'll like it in the LONG run....