1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need some advice on residential and commercial contracts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Guthrie&Co, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

all if my accounts are on a word of mouth agreement. this sucks and is very dangerous. i need to form some residential contracts and commercial contracts.

things i want to see in mine
    - set price for first mowing and regular price
    - 2 week written notice for both parties
    - payment due dates with late fees
    - services include.....

if you guys can help me on anything else i need to put in my contracts i would apreciate it. also what format should i use?
  2. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

services agreed to
    exclusions and add ons
    extra charges clause

We propose to furnish all labor and materials complete in accordance with the above secifications for the sum of____ per week/per month.

Payment to be made as follows:
    by check payable to...COMPANY NAME due on the first of every month.
    Monthly contracts, $10 discount applies if paid in cash.
    3% charge if balance is not paid by the 7th of each month.

All material is guaranteed to be specified. All work to be completed in a workman like manner according to standard practices. Any alteration or deviation from above specifications involving extra costs will be executed only upon written work orders, and will become an extra charge over and above the agreed upon rate/charge. All agreements contingent upon accidents,weather, or delays beyond our control. Company to carry and provide proof of license, bond and insurance. Property owner to carry fire, tornado, homeowner, and all other neccesary insurance.
    This contract can be voided by either party only with 30 days prior notice.
    The above prices, specifications, and conditions are satisfactory and hereby accepted. COMPANY NAME is authorized to do the work as specified. Payment will be be made as outlined above.

DATE OF ACCEPTANCE:_________________ Signature__________________

Authorized signature:___________________
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Call me crazy but I do not have signed residential contracts (for weekly lawn services). Basically, I send a letter to them stating what the costs will be...this much for lawn cutting, X,Y,& Z will be this much extra, etc., etc., etc. Then I tell them to call me if they agree with the terms.

If/when they call, I send a follow up letter confirming we received there voice mail or what we spoke about. Been doing this going on six years. Had my first 'issue' this past month. We spoke on the phone decided on a happy medium and they are still a customer and we are still the client.

As for commercials or one time jobs...this requires a sign contract with deposit amount before work can begin. Basically I can show the signature on a contract in court and also prove they okayed the work with the deposit amount matching the deposit amount on the contract.

As far as what I have...it is very simple.

Header with company info.
    Top corner of page with proposal/contract #, date, and # pages.
    Two areas to be filled out with customer info (1)Who is responsible for the bill (2) location of work.
    Next I have a section with a description of the work to be performed.
    I follow that up with the cost and payment terms.
    Follow up with any warranties.
    Follow that up with any optional costs or specifically state what is NOT included to rule out any ambiguties (not sure of spelling there)
    Follow this up with this proposal is good for x amount of days.
    Then I have a shaded section for them to print date and sign there name. This section basically states that have read and fully understood the work to be performed and have agreed to the terms of payment.

There you go...
  4. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

good info on that
  5. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi scabyscapes,

Feel free to look over any of the free contracts we have collected here.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>