1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need some advice on this broken wall.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dchauling, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

This wall fell as the guy who put it up was a ******. How do I go about trying to fix it. It is a false wall and I thought of using treated 4x8 lumber to make a frame to push against the brick from the inside. I do not want to look like a clown though so I am here for some advice. Thanks

Fallen Wall 001.jpg

Fallen Wall 002.jpg

Fallen Wall 003.jpg

Fallen Wall 004.jpg

Fallen Wall 005.jpg
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that wall is installed 100% wrong from the get go.
    it is not intended for the way it is being used.

it is designed to lay back against the earth it retains, not to be free standing.....
  3. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

If those blocks don't have a lip on the back of them I would go right ahead and build a mortared wall with them...provided you poured a strip footing first and its not a structural wall. Pointing of stuff like that takes a bit of practice.

I could be way off the mark cause I don't know the product though.
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

thats crazy , hope the nieghborhood kids dont get near that tower of pisa at the wrong time:hammerhead:
  5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what the homeowner is trying to accomplish with that wall but its definitly the wrong product. putting a rr tie wall behind it is throwing good money after bad IMO. every solution I can think of would be Ghetto and wouldn't look good. the only real option is to get a decorative wall stone that is meant to be free standing and re-do the wall safely and correctly.
  6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I would walk away from that project if it were me, but it looks like you could pour a strip footing and build the wall ontop with mortar, like squizzy said. Or build a block wall behind it that is actually meant to be a free standing block wall.
  7. dchauling

Thanks for the info
  8. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

So???...don't keep us all in suspense. How did it work out?.
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Tear out deck.
    Remove window.
    Backfill entire area
    Properly build wall
    Rebuild deck :)
  10. dchauling

Here is the wall fixed.

Had to tear down wall, compact base, rebuild, support with pressure treated wood and back fill.

Hope it lasts

Fixed wall 3.JPG

Fixed wall 2.JPG

Fixed wall.JPG