I need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bull, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

This year I am relying totally on a 48" TTHP with the ESC controls but to tell you the truth my hands and forearms are starting to feel constant tingles and pain. I have kept all moving parts and linkage clean and greased and I have kept the moving areas sprayed with WD-40. It just seems that after hours of using the mower the pain starts up and now carries on into the weekend even when I am not mowing. The mower does a great job but I don't know if I can withstand this all the way through the season. Does anyone else experience the same problems? I was thinking about looking for a mower with different controls.

2. stboo6

stboo6 LawnSite Member

have you adjusted the spring tension to the lowest setting?? I run mine in the middle setting..but I am only part time..but even at that setting after about 3 yards in a day my forearms start to pump..of course I am very out of shape!!!lol

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Toro proline gear-drive w/ T-bar.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Are you using gloves? A good glove with padding will work wonders to protect those nerve endings from getting iritated. I use fingerless bicycle gloves with heavy padding in the palm area. I can work longer and harder without getting tingles.

5. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

The tingling is known as white finger disease. Most notably from chainsaw use but all vibratory equipment can cause it. After an hour on the rototiller, my fingers are buzzing. Do this every day and you've got trouble because it is irreversible nerve damage. Try good gloves. If that doesn't work, find another piece of equipment.

6. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I use the Mechanix "Mpact" gloves as recommended by someone here on the boards. Believe me they make a difference! I've got a SCAG with the pistol grips and I thought I wasn't going to be able to use the machine all day, but with these gloves I can with little fatigue.

7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I did take an old pair of leather gloves and cut the fingers out and sure enough it has helped some. I believe I will invest in the padded gloves as mentioned. Thanks

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the ECS controls as well, and sometimes I get that same tingly/numb feeling in my hands. It usually gets better after I realize I have been using a death grip on the controls.

9. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

There's the answer to your problem. Any type of "pistol" grip control and your going to have the problem your talking about. The T- bar is the answer (as long as it's NOT a hydro unit)

10. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

its carpal tunnel syndrome. Try choking up or down on the handles. otherwise theres not much you can do. And no its not permanent it just takes a couple of years to go away once the repetitive motion stops.b