I need some help guys, i need your advice!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DillonsLawnCare, Jul 28, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

im 14 and ive got a friend thats willing to partner up with me when i turn 16 in a year and a half. should i do this or not? hes very loyal and hes not a mexican.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Well... if you said he was Mexican, I'd say go for it. But since he's not, and I'm assuming he's probably italian, I would watch out. Polish guy maybe, but not really one of those irish guys (I'm irish, and I wouldn't hire myself).
    what was the question again? oh, yeah... partnership, NO.

3. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldent, I thought it was the right Idea when I started, all equipment is mine, my little bro is 19 and very smart and I wanted to in a way help him out so asked him to partner up, a few months later I just couldent see him putting in as much as me... didnt work out

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

no dont do it, if you are all ready going then just keep on growing

5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You could hire him, but don't partner w/ him. Read David's post above & you will see what can happen.

7. DillonsLawnCare

yeah, but we were going to use our own equipment and keep all the yards we personally own now to ourselves and then 50/50 all the new business we get. does that seem like it would work? i mean hes my age and hes one of my friends, even if it doesnt work, we can always split. right??

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Not a good plan. Maybe you could team up and help eachother on accounts, but keep seperate businesses, equipment and accounts. Better yet, buy him out and have him work for you for $8 an hour.

9. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Will you split the expenses? You'll be better off hiring him as your employee. You would be looking at a lot of headaches if you "partner up" with anyone, family member or not.

With all of that being said, glad to see you asking questions like this and getting started at such a young age. I think that's great. Good luck.

10. DillonsLawnCare

id rather buy and higher a mexican to work for me for like 7$ an hour. all i wanted to do was increase my income. i thought a partner would help get lawns done faster. but i know ill have to get twice as many yards to be making what i want to make. cause it'll be 50/50. he wants to partner with me and i could use the help. i got 10 new accounts in the past 2 weeks! i now have 18!!!!!! its really putting my mower to the test. and my back and feet. thanks for the input guys!!!