I need some help I'm 14 and try to start my own lawn business for the summer!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JRLAWNS727, Jun 26, 2004.

1. JRLAWNS727

JRLAWNS727 LawnSite Member

Hey do you have any suggestions on what kind of equipment is good to invest in and what kind of prices should I charge? I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanks

2. MacTruck

MacTruck LawnSite Member

JRLAWNS727 - Try looking through the forums before posting. I think there was a post very similar to this in the commecrial (great if i could spell) section yesterday sometime.

Someone want to move this please?

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

JR, just try to get your neighbors and just get a cheap 79.99 weed whip from lowes or something to start off. just do your neighbors and do a good job, and they will be coming back for more. along with more neighbors. and sense you dont have bills or anything. BANK all the money you recive that way when your 16, your can buy a truck and hopefully better weed whips and edger and a nice BP blower.

i started bout your age and im 16 now, and have a 48", 36", over $1,500 invested in edgers, blowers and weed whips, and its really my first year.

before i just did neighbors and family and freinds. and now im up to 40 accounts my first year...

trust me, start out small, with a 21 and a weed whip and a cheap blower, and bank all the money you have for the next 2 years, so when your 16 you can buy all your commercial equipment, and a trailer...

then when your 18 you can get lisenced, get incorporated, and insurance....

well, i did all of that stuff myself execpt for incorporated, i put it in my fathers name, and when im 18 its getting transfered to my name.

but only do that if you plan on making a carrer out of this...

as for me, i plan to go to MSU to get a degree in landscape archtecture, and business management. and i plan on having a landscape business along with mowing, and mostly use mowing for advertising and to help pay for labor, and use landscaping mainly for bills and profit.

at least thats what im planning, just do good work, and you will last in this business and in a few years you'll be bigger then you thought.

4. JRLAWNS727

JRLAWNS727 LawnSite Member

thanks..sounds good to me

5. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

same here im 14 too and i started this 3 years ago. I now have 32 lawns to cut and i just got my dad to come with me and buy a trailer. Now we mow together. right now we have the following:

1. 2004 roadmaster 7'x16' enclosed
    2 2002Toro 36' wb 15hp Kolers
    1 2001 Dixon 4115ZTR 42" cut 15.5 B&S
    1 Stihl Magnum BP Blower
    1 Stihl Trimmer

Last year i made over 15000$!!!!

Good Luck!

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Then why did you post this Lawnboy112? :confused:

7. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Brutal!!! LB112 you're getting killed on this site.

8. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

It states he's looking for work,but he's made $15,000 in profit, sure it wasn't $150? I just don't understand, and has been doing it for 7 years! Either he started when he was 7 or 11.. still unbelievable.

LB112, there's also a "spell" check at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

-Nick

9. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

ouch 112! :eek:
    Remember, everything you post can be read, re-read, analyzed and scrutinized. Honest reputations are built slowly and lost quickly in the adult world. ;)

10. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

What happend to the $40.000. you saved.???:confused: