I need some help with a estimate.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by brentcovington, Mar 10, 2009.

1. brentcovington

brentcovington LawnSite Member

It has been several years since I have installed a timber wall. The dimensions of the wall is 90' long and 10' high. I will be using 6x6 pressure treated timbers. The timbers are costing me 14.00 a piece. I am wanting to see what your labor rates are. If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me now.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Only you know that. How much excavation? Is there a setback? How much stone and backfil?

3. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

27,000.00 area

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

jezz...that's one big arse wall for timber.

I remember a quote for one that was about 60 feet in length and 4-5 in height about 3-4 years ago. I remember after all was said and done I was just shy of 50 per face foot after factoring everything in. There is a LOT of labor involved in a timber wall. All the extra excavation for the tiebacks, rebar, all the spikes/screws, etc.

5. KAG

KAG LawnSite Member

Please take photos as you go and post them up. 10ft is high for timber.

6. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

10' is realy high for timber. I would recommend doing 2 seperate walls of 6 and 4. Or maybe using concrete retaining wall blocks with Geo Grid.

Your tie back system is going to look like a wooden roller coaster. Back fililng that will take some skill and time.

Good Luck

7. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

10 feet for 6x6's ?? wow I wouldn't want that project

8. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

You'll have a sizeable percentage of your 6x6's behind the wall as tie-backs...just off the top of my head it's got to be an addtional 20-30% more material.

Labor will be extensive and the process will be very slow.

Almost certainly more expensive than segmented...why not install a permanent, less expensive solution and go with a segmented retaining wall?

Faster - cheaper - longer lasting.

9. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

You have an engineer that is going to sign off on this project? Only you know your labor rates. 10' of timber wall is not a good idea. There are other options that are far superior.

10. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. If I were to build a wall that size here, I would need a bldg. permit and engineering, not sure if a wooden wall would be approved.