I need some input on how much to help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slapshotmike24, Sep 13, 2005.

1. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

I've just been put into a tough situation. Right now I have about 25 residential lawns which I can easily keep up with during the school year. Just this morning, my cousin who has 60 lawns and a z-turn, got into a very bad accident. For those of you in the Philadelphia area, you probably saw this on the news. http://www.nbc10.com/news/4965901/detail.html# . He fractured two vertebrae and broke another bone. He is definitly now working for awhile, so I now have to find a way to cut 80 lawns during the week, and go to school. I was wondering what you guys think I should take for cutting the lawns. I think I should only take enough to cover gas and labor. I don't know whether I should try and eat some of the cost and try and give him more money. After this accident, he'll need everything he can get. I really don't know what to do, so I'm looking for so input. :help:

2. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I think what ever you do is a very nice gesture. Helping family is always an important thing to do. When the time is right, sit down with him and discuss the situation. Find out which customers cannot be missed. Find out which customers if any he planned on getting rid of. Find out what is the bare minimum he needs to pay bills and keep things going. The rest in my eyes would be yours. Good luck.

3. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

In order to give any advice, I need to know how old is your cousin?

4. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

My cousins a good bit older than me. He turned 21 a month ago.

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If you are doing all of the work, then you should get all of the profit.

Of course, it would probably be nice of you to help him out a bit with the expenses but if you are running the business, then the money is yours. I think that simply holding his customers for him while he recovers would be a big help in itself.

6. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

you might try to get some of your buddies from school to help you out for a few weeks. pay 'em drinking money (or whatever).

take enough to cover the cost on the 60. pay yourself a wage. he gets the rest.

that's what i'd do. i would think the important thing would be to keep him from losing the accounts. if he's not able to work for a long time, work out a deal with him. you keep the accounts forever and give him a percentage for a certain amount of time.

7. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

10% of the gross from his clients, with the promise you will not recruit his clients.