1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Need Some Input

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Signature Landscaping1, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Im buying a few more things i need for this season.
    I need a new spreader, which one??
    I want to buy my oil in bulk, should i buy quaker state or what brands of oil do you guys use??
    Im getting shirts done, i have a local place that does them should i stick with them or order them online?

2. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

anyone? please
  3. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

I have not found any bulk oil that is any cheaper than buying in quarts. I like spyker spreaders. I like dealing local. My local guy has my artwork on file and can zap out somthing anytime I need it.
  4. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Go buy a case of oil. I like using Quaker state oil. On spreader I use a push one from earth way 100lb Cost you around $420 for it but nice unit.
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco spreaders, mobil oil, and i would go local for your uniforms. Cost may be a little more, but you can change, order, and create a new contact a lot easier.
  6. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

yea i want to use quaker state, and i dont want to spend $400 on a spreader, im gunna go with earthway, i only need it on two accounts i picked up a small commercial so ill need it. for the shirts local is the best, i know the guys over at the store, and there know for thier quality work so ill go with them.
  7. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Sure you shouldn't just sub out those 2 accounts? Your age coupled with a commercial account and not being a certified applicator could spell disaster.
  8. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

What do you mean by bulk oil? I buy my SAE 30 by the quart, and all the trucks and big machines get John Deere Torq Guard 15w40 diesel oil, which I get in 55 gal drums. JD Hydraulic oil in 55 gal drums, gear oil in 5 gal pail with a hand pump on it.

I think for the equipment you have buying the oil by the case would be easiest. It's a pain using the drums, and you need a forklift to get them off the truck.....

but, you could buy it in 5 gal pails and use a pump. I don't know that there is a lot of $ savings that way, but it's nice to have a hose to put the oil where you want it.

As for spreaders, I have a vicon 3pt hitch that holds about 3/4 ton, and an old pull behind that holds 10 tons.... however it is not nearly as accurate. This past year I mostly sprayed a 30% nitrogen solution, so I did it with a 500gal truck mounted sprayer.

Depending on how much you are expanding your business, all this may be too large for you.

9. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

except for the really cheap wal mart suff, oil is pretty much oil, especially the single grade stuff most small engines use. (SAE 30) i think you can shop for price and be pretty safe here.
  10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Stick with the small jugs of oil the 5 gal pails and the drums can get messy and heavy:weightlifter: ....Good luck